Monday, June 29, 2009

Lazy Saturday and Cookies

Saturday was one of those days. Jay was working a ten hour shift and the boy was in Orlando for the weekend, vacationing with friends. Even though I know and love the family he was with and totally trusted them with my kid, I still had that anxious feeling you get when you don't know exactly where your kid is. I spent a large portion of the day wandering around doing nothing. I tried to read. I tried to sew. I tried to clean, although not very well and not very long. I just couldn't get it together enough to accomplish anything. Honestly, I really just wanted to take a nap, but there's no napping with a four year old around. So I decided to bake cookies instead.

I had no idea what to bake because I didn't have a lot of "cookie stuff" on hand. There hasn't been much baking going on here lately. For one, it's way too hot to turn on the oven. Plus, I'm trying to not spend money on unnecessary items and as shocking as it may sound, we don't need fresh baked goods on a daily basis. So my supplies were limited. Fortunately, not a lot of ingredients are needed for Snickerdoodle cookies.

I settled on Nigella Lawson's Snickerdoodle cookie recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess. Why have I not made these before? They were super easy, didn't need a lot of ingredients, and aren't real sweet. They may be the perfect summer cookie. (I couldn't find the recipe on Nigella's website, but it is here at Kitchen Wench.)

Once the cookies were done, the girl and I took them out to the porch and had a lemonade and cookies picnic.
The picnic only lasted about a half hour, but it provided a nice break from the anxious feeling I had been having. We were even joined by Bochi, our weekend house guest:
(Bochi is a member of the aforementioned family my son spent the weekend with.)

I hate to bring this up so early, but I'm really looking forward to fall when I can bake more. I have a stack of recipes I want to try out, but slaving in a hot kitchen this time of year doesn't sound at all appealing. Plus, when the weather is cooler, we're able to eat a large portion of our meals outside, which is so much more relaxing than in the dining room where I have the unpleasant view of the dirty kitchen and all the waiting dishes. Considering the first day of fall isn't until September 22, I have a ways to go.

11 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Baking is soothing, isn't it? Have fun planning for Fall. :)

Tammie said...

it is....i dont know if its the actual process or just the feeling of instant gratification i get when i have the finished product. but its very soothing.

Mari said...

Oh my gosh, that is the cutest houseguest ever! I made bread on Friday night, and the family devoured it like a pack of starving ferrets.

Tammie said...

ha ha ha
im so jealous of your weather.

Daphne said...

That sounds fun -- I've made that recipe before and I don't love it, but if I'm looking at it with my 'not-too-sweet' glasses on, then I can appreciate them more. However, your picnic is adorable regardless. And yes, baking is very soothing.

Maria Rose said...

I have been on a baking rampage lately and the heat is not making it easy. I like to think of it as endurance baking.

Dani said...

Mmmmm...snickerdoodles. I don't do much baking in the summer either. My house stays at 78-80* anyway to cut down on energy costs so heating up the oven would push things over the edge.

Tammie said...

daphne: i hear ya. they arent really my favorite cookies, especially if i want something gooey, but they are a good lite cookie. especially for kids who want to eat five or six cookies at a time.

maria: thats a good way to look at it.

dani: same here. and if i leave the stove on too much it could very easily get up to 84 in my house.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It must be a baking blog day! I so love to bake but you're right when it's hot - not so much.

These sound good but I must admit the Lemonade sounds like just what I need.....maybe a little gin added and I've got myself something......Thanks Tammie!

Betts said...

I hate those restless days when I wander from thing to thing. Next time it happens, I'll make cookies.

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

I am going to save money by giving up cooking all together- it is so hot in this heat wave!