Saturday, June 27, 2009

Keith Haring Baby Rocker

Jay and I were on our evening walk on Friday when off in the distance we see it. A trash pile. We both got a little excited. As we got closer we caught a glimpse of this: A Keith Haring Baby Rocker. In perfect condition. It still has the manufacturers sticker on it.

I've always loved Keith Haring's work. What person of my generation doesn't? It's easy to love. Simple yet bold graffiti-like designs, usually with a message. Just awesome.

So of course our walk was cut short since we (Jay) had to lug this rocker home because there was no way I was going to leave it there unattended until we came back with the car.

When we got home I had to find out more information about this toy, I've never seen anything like it before. Granted, it's been a few years since I've done any major shopping for baby products.

Anyway, it's made by Vilac, a French company that makes high quality wooden toys. I found a couple of online retailers who used to carry it last year, and it was priced at $170. The only place I found that still carries it is Unica Home...and it's $264. I cannot imagine ever spending that on a toy that would be so quickly outgrown. But then again, I can't imagine ever having something like this in my possession and throwing it out with the trash.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. For now, the girl loves it, although she's a bit big for it.I'm trying to rid my house of useless clutter, items that don't really do anything but take up space, but I have a feeling I'll be keeping this little piece of art for a while.

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Oh my gosh! What a find. I traveled to NYC not too long after his death with my art class. I remember going to see his art and being so excited to see it in person, not just on a poster. That is just incredible.

CT said...

WOW!!! now that's what I call having a good eye!!! see? there IS something good about living in the waiting room of hell, if you can pick up stuff like this!!! lol!
I'm biased about Fla, though... I DID spend my honeymoon there... sigh!

kraftykash said...

What a fun find! Our neighbor has 2 2yr olds & Im always finding little things for the boys. But that baby rocker is way to cool! The girl looks very cute in her hat!

Betts said...

What a find! When it does come time to get rid of it, I'm sure you'll get more than you paid for it. :-)

meg said...

trash picking gold! sell that (beautiful, modern) sucker!

Mari said...

Ooh, fantastic find! Yeehaw, cowgirl!

Dani said...

What a great find! Yes...keep it. Those are the kinds of items that you will find a use for.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

What an awesome find! I love it.