Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Healthy Macaroni Salad?

Monday I was digging around in the pantry and I realized we had three boxes of elbow macaroni. The only time we ever use elbow macaroni is when Jay makes his homemade macaroni and cheese. Because it's 8 trillion degrees here, that's not going to be happening anytime soon. So I googled healthy macaroni salad and the first recipe I found was this one. It seemed promising, but I wanted different veggies and less mayonnaise. So, I made up my own recipe.Of course it's still loosely based on the original. Maybe inspired by would be a better way to describe it. But either way, it's macaroni. Can anyone really lay claim to a macaroni salad recipe? They are all just variations of the same basic ingredients. Anyway, here is the recipe for the macaroni salad I made:

* 2 cups macaroni

* 2 hard boiled eggs

* 1 cup grated carrots

* 1 cup of peas

* 1/2 cup grated cheese

* 1/2 cup of mayonnaise

* cayenne pepper to taste (we like our food a little spicy around here)

Most of the time I think that any recipe with mayonnaise should fall into the "unhealthy" category. But when compared to the original recipe, I doubled the amount of macaroni, upped the amount of vegetables, and kept the amount of mayonnaise the same. In reality you get very little mayonnaise per serving, just enough to keep the salad from getting dry.

So is it healthy? I don't know. I wouldn't consider it health food, but when up against the typical macaroni salad recipe, it's probably the healthier choice.

7 comments:

Dani said...

This sounds really good. If you were to use lite mayo it could up the health factor even more. We use Smart Balance mayo which has a very different taste to other brands...this is good for me because I am not a big mayo girl.

Daphne said...

I generally think macaroni salad is food of the devil, but this looks good. Maybe some water chestnuts to give it some kronsch?

Tammie said...

dani: i may try it with lite mayo next time. when im making sandwiches i need regular mayo, but as for actual recipes, i think something liter is in order.

daphne: oooh. water chestnuts sound good....hmmm

kraftykash said...

My mouth is watering. It has been out of control hot here this week and this recipe sounds good. Can you figure out a way to send it to me and keep it cold? lol

Carla said...

Looks good and mostly healthy to me! I might have to try it.

kraftykash said...

I am in for Gratitude Friday for sure! What should we call it?

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Have you tried the mayonnaise with olive oil? It's good, and healthier. I've been planning to make a pasta salad. YOurs looks good.