Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Defying the Odds

Late last winter the girl and I planted some sunflower seeds. We kept them inside on a window sill where they would get a lot of direct sunlight. Once they sprouted, and as soon as we were sure the weather was going to stay warm, we transplanted our eight little sproutlets outside.

I put them as close to the house as possible, thinking this would keep them safe from squirrels. I was wrong. Within one hour of planting them, we only had one left. I was bummed almost to the point of giving up and just ignoring the last plant. How was this one measly plant going to grow in the war zone that is my backyard? Could it ever be tall and strong growing up next to the crime scenes of it's seven lost relatives?

We all carried on and somehow our plant continued to grow. It survived heavy winds and rain and a few minor early morning squirrel attacks. It even survived the accidental smashing by Jay's foot as he was moving our grill.

Then last week, we began to finally see what we've been waiting for, our baby opening up. The following pictures were taken over a period of four consecutive days:
To some this is just a sunflower. To us, it's a small backyard miracle.

14 comments:

Aleta said...

I love sunflowers, I do, I do, I do! Mom planted one that ended up being over 8 feet tall! One of the neighbors asked if they planted a bean stalk to go up to the sky. Lol.

I LOVE the pictures of your sunflower. What a cool idea to capture it opening - beautiful!

Karen said...

Those pictures are awesome. My sunflowers have just started to open, too, but they look pretty raggedy.

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

Oh, I love it. I love the sunflower's resilience. And they are so beautiful. Soon you'll be able to see it following the sun!

CT said...

Oh Tammie! what a wonderful lovely thing to have in your backyard! you've got a fighter there, all right!

:D thanks my friend, for being there for me...

Mari said...

I love sunflowers, I can't believe your squirrel attack! I've never had one eaten, no squirrels at my house. The pioneers ate them all.

Dani said...

Everything about this is awesome. Kudos to you and to Mother Nature.

earthmama said...

It is a miracle! What a great photo spread! Very cool!

earthmama

Bridge said...

Love this! I have to wait a while. :)

hester said...

This post was a joy. Great photos!

Tammie said...

wow you guys are the best, i almost didnt post this one because i thought it would bore everyone.

go fig.

kraftykash said...

Those pictures really capture your sunflower! It is beautiful and well worth the wait, I bet.

Nowheymama said...

I love this.

Betts said...

Your story reminds of "The Tiny Seed" by Eric Carle.

I have sunflower seedlings to transplant soon. I hope the squirrels stay away from mine.

Layrayski said...

That is one weep worthy story and pics.

Love your action packed writing, by the way ;-)