Monday, June 8, 2009

Charlie Harper Memory Game

Due to the spending cuts within our family, there haven't been a lot of new toys coming into the house, which is fine with me. My kids already have more than enough anyway and I don't even think they've noticed that their collections haven't been added to in quite some time.

When we have bought toys or games, it's been after a lot of thought and discussion about who would play it, would we get a lot of use out of it, etc. For instance, after the boy rented Guitar Hero, we all agreed that we liked it and it would probably be a worthwhile investment. So we sold some items on ebay and then used the profits to buy the game.

Another recent addition is this Charlie Harper Memory Game:The girl's game selection had grown a bit stale recently. We play Candy Land a lot and she does have another Memory game, but it's a Disney version that was given to us and I hate playing it. All those damn Princesses look alike to me. And when I do offer to buy the girl a new game, she's drawn to things that are loud and annoying and will require an endless supply of batteries. We usually leave the game aisle empty handed.

I remember seeing this Memory game all over blogland last holiday season when it was available at Old Navy. I meant to go and buy it then, but that's one of those stores I try to avoid. I don't really like their clothes but it seems as soon as I enter an Old Navy, I make a beeline to the sale rack and find myself loading up my arms with stuff I don't really love and then trying to justify the purchase by saying, "But it's on sale for $2.99!!!" Because of that, I never made it to Old Navy.

So of course I was thrilled when I saw the game mentioned on Poppytalk last month with a link to fawn and forest. It was back ordered for a while but it finally arrived this past Saturday and I couldn't be more pleased. The girl and I played a few quick games using only some of the cards, but it's just as fun and much more challenging when all the cards are used. (I talked Jay into playing a game with me last night and I'm pretty sure he had a good time since he was doing the maniacal evil cackle he does whenever he's clearly winning a game.) The images on the cards are so beautiful, that you don't feel as if you're playing a "little kid" game.

Here are a few of my favorite pairs: My verdict: Well worth $14.95.

9 comments:

Dani said...

Awesome. You could almost take those game pieces and glue them down to make wall art.

Tammie said...

i am so tempted.

Layrayski said...

yeah looked like art pieces to me. (It tugged at my heart esp the ape/monkey one-->weird)

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

Ooooo. Pretty. I love it. I would like to have it in my house.

Mari said...

I love his big book, but it's so damn expensive!

Tammie said...

mari: i know! i could probably spend hours looking through it but much too pricey.

Daphne said...

ooh! so pretty.

Maria Rose said...

Oh man alive, when the kids outgrow the game (if that ever happens) the cards can be used for all kinds of cool crafts too!

kraftykash said...

Those would be great for decorating in my house! How fun!!