Friday, May 29, 2009

Things I'm Into Right Now

*Man vs. Food
I rarely watch the Travel Channel. It depresses me because vacations and travel just aren't in our financial plan right now. But I do love Man vs. Food with Adam Richman. Adam travels to various places, hunts down and reports on the local flavors, and then at the end of the episode attempts a food challenge involving massive quantities of food, such as a 7 1/2 pound hamburger. Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, but it's always entertaining.

*Excellent Mail
This past week has been a strangely good mail week for me. It was bizarre. Unless I get something good from Dawn, most days my mail consists of catalogs destined for the recycling bin or bills. Plus, because I'm not really doing any internet shopping anymore, I hardly ever get to see my UPS man. (Our relationship is really suffering. It's so sad to see him zoom right past my house. I don't know if he even recognizes me! sigh)

Aside from Daphne's delicious preserves(which I'm trying to ration out and make last more than a week), I received a care package from Kashoan. It was filled with little goodies, but here are a few of my favorites.

Fishin' Kitty:Salt and Pepper Shakers:Let's just say I have trouble keeping salt and pepper shakers. It was nice to have a new set.

Corn Bag:Kash makes these, and when I found out she was sending me a box, I had my fingers crossed that she'd throw one in. Pop it in the microwave for two minutes and then put it wherever you have aches and pains. We have similar "boo-boo packs" (as my daughter calls them) but they are filled with other substances and I gotta say that I think the corn is the best. It really holds and distributes the heat evenly.

The last piece of fun mail was a box from Heather in Australia.Last month she blogged about a cd that she'd been listening to of "various chicks doing covers of Neil Finn and Crowded House songs." I immediately wanted to know more about this since I'm a huge Crowded House fan and had never heard of this cd. Heather offered to make me a copy plus an accompanying cd of some of the hits of the Finn Brothers from their various bands/solo careers. It was so cool of Heather to do this for me, especially since the cd of covers isn't available here in the states.

(Crowded House have special meaning around here, because they were the boy's first-and so far only-"real" concert. Although he had fun, he ended up falling asleep during the show, which is something we still joke about. I know it was late, but who sleeps at a concert? I always tell him I'll take him to another show as soon as I'm positive I'm not just paying $35 a ticket for him to take a nap.)

*Homemade bread I made bread!!! And it doesn't taste like a door stop!!

My previous attempts at bread making have been ok, at best. We ate it but.....only because we hate to waste things. (You know it's bad when the day after it's made it already has to be made into croutons.) I made two loaves using the recipe over at Beauty that Moves. My loaf making skills need work, since one loaf had a giant hole down the center. It was still quickly devoured by my son and his friend. Ten year old boys don't care much about the appearance and presentation of their food.

*Isabelle
Jay and I have had her since before we got married. She deserves to show up here from time to time for no other reason than she has seniority. She's earned it.

12 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Corn, huh? We have rice bags. I'll have to try corn.

Daphne said...

What a great mail week! When I lived in Finland, we would talk about "good mail days" and "bad mail days". And your kitty is adorable.

Maria Rose said...

Those salt and pepper shakers are COOL!

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

Love Man v. Food. Great show! And it's always fun to get stuff in the mail. Especially good stuff. I will need to try that bread recipe. The only bread I make is soda bread or variations on it. You can always make bread pudding too. That is my favorite use of brick bread. So good.

Betts said...

I have a corn bag too, but mine is about a foot long and thin... perfect for draping over the back of my neck.

Sweet kitty! You should give her a little more airtime.

My UPS guy and I are also estranged. I miss him!

Mari said...

My comment disappeared, and it was oh so clever, the best ever! Exciting mail day! I like crowded house, but I really love split enz, ever since the first time I heard dirty creature.

Aleta said...

I love cats, so the fishing one - just too cute! And love the picture of your cat. Awwww. I know what you mean about missing the UPS guy.. seeing them drop off boxes is like having an early Christmas present.

hester said...

I'm not even a cat person and I think that's one gorgeous looking cat.

I gather the UPS guy delivers parcels but what do the letters stand for? United Parcel Service????

Tammie said...

nowhey:: i highly recommend the corn. it works so well.

daphne:: i want to hear more about finland.
also..shes my favorite kitty. i refer to her as the first born

maria rose:: thanks!

not your aunt bea::bread pudding is a good idea i wouldnt have thought of. i dont like the store varieties, but a homemade version may suit me better.

betts:: i know! im having UPS withdrawal.

mari:: i like split enz too...i really love the finn brothers no matter what they do.

heather:: you got it! i thought they delivered in other countries too but i could be wrong.

Dani said...

I am into the food shows as well...I like that one bald dude that goes around eating fish eyes and cow balls. I also like "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain. He is such an ass...I love it.

Your first born is cute. My kids really want a cat. They name every stray neighborhood cat they see. So far their cats (from afar) are Taco, Wilbur, and Cammo.

Annie said...

Lovely nature photos here. And I love rhubarb too!

kraftykash said...

Why am I just now seeing this? Im so glad you loved your goodies!!