Monday, May 4, 2009

Springtime Random Thoughts

(I want to thank everyone for all the kind words about the loss of my buddy Lulu. It truly helped.)

A few shots of my teeny-tiny garden::

As you can see, weeding my strawberry patch is not high on my to-do list.This is probably why I only get about a dozen strawberries a year.

My tomatoes are doing amazing though:This shot was taken last week. I was able to pick my first tomato this evening.

My cherry tomatoes are growing nicely as well:I really can't take too much credit for the success of my garden. I don't do much other than water it. My only explanation is that just maybe the two years of composting are finally starting to pay off.

The other day the girl wanted me to play with her. When I agreed, she took me outside and told me we were going to play "run."Her instructions: Run around the yard as fast as you can until you get tired. It was close to 90 degrees out and it hadn't rained in weeks. I couldn't think of anything I'd want to do less than play "run." Fortunately, she was happy with me taking pictures of her playing run.

We eat a lot of beans around here because well, beans are healthy and wicked cheap. Now that the weather is warmer we don't want to cook them though so we add them to other dishes, stuff them in pitas, or just snack on them out of the can. (Okay, I'm the only one doing that last one.)

One of our favorite bean recipes is Black Bean and Mango Salad. I originally found the recipe last year in the free magazine given away by Publix -one of the major grocery stores here in the south. For those of you lucky enough to not live in the southern part of the country, I thought I'd post the recipe here for you.

Black Bean & Mango Salad

* 1 can of black beans
* 2 cups diced mango
* 1 cup diced sweet red bell pepper
* 6 green onions thinly sliced
* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
* 1 tbsp. olive oil
* 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced

Mix it all together and enjoy. Jay and I usually double the recipe. We are thinking of even tripling it-we are wild like that.

I snapped a picture this evening before chowing down:
I hope you appreciate the extra effort put into the picture...you know, the pretty bowl and use of actual silverware. A lot of times I just eat my meals out of Tupperware with a Hello Kitty fork.

I know what you're all wondering now:: Tammie, where do you put all the empty bean cans until trash day? To answer your question, we have some of these bags, bought a few years back from Gaiam. The problem with these bags is that if you aren't real good about washing your recyclables (we aren't), they get nasty quickly. Really nasty. So after a while you need to get someone, in this case my husband, to construct you a box in which to hide away your ugly, dirty recyclables.(Weird picture, I know. The sun was going down and this box was about to be moved into the kitchen, where the lighting is even worse.)

My favorite part:

Secure hinges so the lid doesn't snap down on kid hands. Jay thinks of everything.

4 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I can't wait for our garden to start producing veggies!

Beautiful salad photo.

Mari said...

I will see tomatoes around, oh, July! That salad looks tasty- just in time for cinco de mayo.

Betts said...

My garden will look like that.... in August. You've given me the fever, and I've GOT to try that salad.

Layrayski said...

I appreciate the salad photo, Tammie! very pretty colors. =)