Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rhubarb

Rhubarb is everywhere right now. It seems as if at least once a week I'd click on a blog only to see pictures of someone eating rhubarb in some form--cobblers, pies, ice cream(!)---or just standing around chomping on a stalk of the stuff. To be completely honest, it was really starting to piss me off. I had never tasted the vegetable. I went on a search for it here in Gainesville and it's not easy to come by. I finally found some today, but it was thin, super ugly and way overpriced. I thought I was destined to be rhubarb-less.

Imagine my joy when I came home to find a package from Daphne on my doorstep. Along with some other goodies, there was a jar of her strawberry-rhubarb-apple preserves, fresh from her canning project this past weekend. How cool is that?

Of course I immediately began eating it straight from the jar, but then chose to be a bit more civilized and mixed it with some yogurt.
It is equally tasty both ways.

I'm undecided on whether to share it with the family or hide it in the fridge behind something yucky. Decisions, decisions.

9 comments:

Mari said...

Hide, definitely!

Nowheymama said...

I am glad you can now join in our rhubarb love. Mmmm....

Daphne said...

Oh, hide it. Definitely. It would also be very good over ice cream. So glad you like it!! It's not as good as a pie, but...

Dani said...

Hide it.

Rhubarb is so lovely. Especially made into a strawberry-rhubarb pie. I love tart fruit-based desserts so it totally fits the bill. It was quite common when I lived in Minnesota but is harder to find (edible) 'barb here in Texas. And I can't find it frozen.

Those preserves made me want to jump through the screen.

Tammie said...

you guys are a selfish bunch.
i kinda like that about you.

daphne: i love it!! it really took all the willpower i have to just not eat it in one sitting.

dani: i couldnt find it frozen either. im still going to keep looking though.

Karen said...

I've never even tasted rhubarb. I've also noticed all the blog-love for rhubarb over the past few weeks, and it's left me wondering what I've been missing. The jam looks super tasty, though.

Layrayski said...

Hide it!

Betts said...

I keep threatening to grow some, but they been empty threats so far. If I ever do, I'll try to figure out how to send you some fresh to "play" with. It grows like a weed around here, I hear.

Crystal said...

My mouth is watering just looking at your photos.

Hide it. Yes.