Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Random Thoughts

*Saturday evening Jay watched No Country for Old Men, while I tried my best to not look at the TV screen. Afterwards, I didn't fall asleep until two in the morning and then had nightmares. For me, the jury is still out on Coen brothers movies. (I think I'm the only person in the world that hated Fargo.) I just don't do well with cinematic violence. Sometimes I have to just watch and hush though, since Jay routinely sits through movies like Suburban Girl and Twilight. Next movie on the list: The Squid and the Whale, a favorite around here.

*I'm still aching from our weekend climb up and down the 236 steps at the Devil's Millhopper.
I've mentioned this giant sinkhole before, and we go often, but I don't know if my muscles will ever get used to it.

Afterwards we walked the trail around the sinkhole.I try so hard to get shots of my kids surrounded by nature but it's difficult because they're never still long enough. I also really wanted a nice photo of the girl's crooked ponytails (they are always crooked), but much like pictures of the elusive Big Foot, it's blurry and out of focus. Maybe next time.*I'm taking a break from reading about trashy vampires. I started reading The Ice Storm by Rick Moody, but about 70 pages in I realized it just wasn't suiting my current mood. Bored rich people in Connecticut having lots of sex. Not fun sex, but regrettable, shameful sex. I'm into the story so I'll probably get back into it in a few weeks, but now I'm reading Dreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint. Daphne is always raving about de Lint and I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. I don't normally read fantasy, so I wasn't sure if I'd *get* it. So far I'm loving it--I think it helps that the book is set in modern times, just with magic and mythical creatures. I'm definitely getting lost in it, which is something I need right now.

*Jay and I had a long talk the other day about our goals for the future. I mention here quite regularly how we hate Florida. This state just doesn't have anything to offer us. We don't fit in here. Plus, it's expensive. Basically we overpay to live somewhere we hate. It just isn't worth it. But we have kids, a mortgage, debt---we can't just pack up and leave. So we seriously and realistically mapped out what we would need to do to get out of Florida within the next two years. I won't go into the details of the plan here because surely it would bore you, but it involves maintaining the level of spending we've been at this year, continuing to pay down debt, and paying off our car with next years tax refund, thus freeing up more money to save. I realize that none of this sounds fun, but honestly I'm giddy knowing we have a plan. It's good to have goals.

13 comments:

Mari said...

Ooh, dreams underfoot sounds interesting! Hmmm, a plan to leave florida? Sounds like a Coen brothers plot!

I am so annoyed with my blog, it didn't show me that you had updated today. What's up with that?!

Tammie said...

ive been having the same problem with my updates of some of the blogs i follow. it must be a blogger issue.

i swear if my life turns into a coen brothers plot, i'll just commit suicide before i end up in a wood chipper, or some other gnarly coen death.

Nowheymama said...

O Brother Where Art Thou? is my favorite Coen brothers movie.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like hearing people's plans!

Tammie said...

yeah thats my favorite coen movie too--no violence!

Aleta said...

I'm NOT a Fargo fan either - yuck.

Thanks for the run down on some of those books. It helps to know what people are reading and what they think of a book. So, I like when bloggers talk up what they enjoy!

How wonderful that you have a goal. It's a good feeling when you know what you want and set a plan into action - Best of luck!

Karen said...

When you get out of Florida, please send a rescue party back for me.

Daphne said...

I'm hit or miss on Coen movies, but I did love O Brother Where Art Thou.

I'm so glad you are loving de Lint! My next favorite, which I'd recommend, would be Memory and Dream, and then The Onion Girl and then Widdershins. But those are just my favorites. I also liked his YA novel The Blue Girl.

I hope wherever you have plans to move to, it's further West. I guess you can't get much further East, can you?

Dani said...

It sounds like you are on the "beans and rice, rice and beans" plan. Me and my Mr. have been on that for the past couple of years: and we are within 2 months of being out of debt. It has been hard. And not really fun. But such a relief. I am an avid reader as well...I welcome all suggestions.

Tammie said...

karen: i will definitely send a rescue party. :)

daphne: memory and dream is the other one i got at the library, so it's next in line.

dani: you got it! we eat a lot of beans and rice. really. A LOT!

Betts said...

I saw the movie "Ice Storm" years ago. I didn't know it was a book too.

Where do you want to move? Vermont is nice and cheaper than Florida but we have property tax.

kraftykash said...

I think its great to talk and make goals. Its easy to get caught up in the day to day BS and not think about what you want out of your life. Im guilty as charged. So Im proud of you. How rockin would that be if you came to Nebraska?? Cost of living is great here & no matter what you here we are not surrounded by corn and whatever else they say. :)

Who is the author of the trashy vampire books? I need some good summer reads. Kids are out of school in 7 days.

Layrayski said...

I so love hearing about husband- wife talks about the future. So romantic.

melissa s. said...

move to portland! we have rhubarb and nature. you won't be disappointed ;-)