Saturday, May 23, 2009

A New Bag and I've Been Declared a Wiener!

Did I need another bag? No, probably not. At this point I have more bags than I have a need for, considering I rarely actually go anywhere other than the grocery store. But a few weeks ago Jay went out of town and brought me back a large stack of fabric from IKEA and I've been itching to make something.

I lined it with bright yellow upholstery weight fabric. (I really wish I lived closer to an IKEA, the fabric there is so inexpensive.) I used the same pattern that I've used in the past. I really love making these. I think the pattern is the perfect mix of easy and difficult. Now that I've done it a few times, it's mindless enough to where I can lose myself in thought while sewing, yet just challenging enough so that I don't get bored.

I'm thinking of making yet another bag, but altering the pattern so that it's bigger. The kids have been wanting to go to the beach and I would need a bag large enough to hold all the items necessary for a day trip. Of course I also need to get up the courage to get this ghostly pale body of mine into a bathing suit and hope that I don't blind all the other beach goers, but that's another story. Anyway, if I do make a bigger bag, you can bet you'll be seeing it here. Beach pictures of my white legs and cellulite though, will be kept to myself.

In other news, Daphne gave me a blog award and declared me a wiener! Or a winner, if you prefer.
For what it's worth, I prefer wiener. This is probably because I spend so much time with a ten year old boy who laughs at things like the phrase pro bono.

I'm so excited to get this award because, well, it's nice to be honored. Plus, I totally dig Daphne. She isn't afraid to grumble and she gives awesome, in depth reviews of the books she reads.

The rules of the award state that I have to accept the award and post it on my blog (DONE!) and that I have to choose other bloggers to give it to. That's the part I have trouble with. I'm even more scatterbrained and indecisive than usual today. (Don't believe me? It took me 45 minutes just to decide which two bag photos to post.) So I'm just going to pass the award on to one blog I recently started reading:

This Wonderful, Crazy Life by Not Your Aunt Bea

After she left a comment here, I popped over to her little corner of the internet and found posts where she mentions food, beer, and how she recently lost her doggie. One might say we have a few things in common.

12 comments:

Daphne said...

You are a total wiener.

I live about 10 minutes away from IKEA and have to go there this weekend anyway, I should check out the fabric. I dig your bag.

Nowheymama said...

Oh, I am so glad you two "met." :) Not Your Aunt Bea is great.

kraftykash said...

Ikea stores are no where near Nebraska. I think there stuff looks so cool. You are rockin at making those bags. A bigger one would be perfect for the beach. I hope you are enjoying the weekend. BTW did you get the email I sent you the other day?

Layrayski said...

I laughed at the--> "Of course I also need to get up the courage to get this ghostly pale body of mine into a bathing suit and hope that I don't blind all the other beach goers..."

Mari said...

Hey wiener, that's the coolest bag yet! I'm 5 minutes from Ikea, if you want anything.

dani@little fists said...

I will begin by saying, "Congrats" on the big weiner award. Don't we all want a weiner to call our own?

I have been enjoying reading your posts. You are very down to earth which is quite refreshing in blog-land...because I am just not all that "perfect".

Tammie said...

all you people that live near an IKEA are really starting to piss me off.
(that's jealousy talking)

dani: i totally agree---with the wiener part of your comment and that there is sometimes too much perfection in blog land. i look to the prefect, pretty blogs for inspiration, but i need to read about the ugly side too or else i get overwhelmed.

Aleta said...

I love the bag! After reading your blog about sewing, I've mustered the courage to ask my mother-in-law to help teach me to sew. She's a pro and I haven't a clue as to where to start with the machine. I wonder if making a purse as my first attempt is a wise choice?

Maria Rose said...

Congrats on your award and I love the bag. That fabric is wonderful!

Maria Rose said...

Congrats on your award and I love the bag. That fabric is wonderful!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love big bags like that!

Betts said...

Wait! IKEA has fabric?! How have I missed this?! I almost want to get in the car and drive the 2.5 hours it would take to reach one... but not quite.