Saturday, May 2, 2009

Lulu

Thursday morning the tough decision was made to finally put our dog Lulu to sleep. While we wanted her to have a quiet death at home, as crass as this may sound, it wasn't happening fast enough. She hadn't eaten in days and was to the point where she was even vomiting water. She was frighteningly thin. She was suffering. Jay and I were both in tears as he carried her to the car.

There is definitely a void now that she's gone. I wanted to post just one good picture of her, but as I was looking through photos I realized I never really took any of just her. I didn't need to....she was always around. She was always sticking her big dog nose (or butt) into whatever was going on: She loved us all and was fiercely protective of the kids.I remember being a bit worried when we brought our daughter home from the hospital. Lulu was part rottweiler, she was big and could be scary. I had no idea if she'd be gentle enough to be trusted around the new baby. I shouldn't have worried. She sniffed the girls head, and then laid down next to her. For the first few weeks she would jump up every time the my daughter cried.

Lulu, like all dogs, was not without her faults. She hated having her nails clipped. She barked at everything. She got up at 6 in the morning wanting to be fed and if Jay or I didn't get up in time she'd stand by the bed and bark in our faces.

Every time Jay would mow the lawn she'd run alongside it, barking and biting at the lawnmower. This was beyond irritating to Jay and he always use to yell at her for it. When he mowed the lawn this past Friday he said, "Man, who's gonna chase my lawnmower?"

I know from experience that this empty feeling will pass. It will get easier to deal with as time goes on. Right now though, I miss my buddy.

13 comments:

CT said...

Oh Tammie! I'm so sorry you had to put her to sleep, but as you mentioned, living now was too hard on her. I'm sending you hugs, big, tight hugs to you and your family. you had a great dog!

Nowheymama said...

I'm so sorry, Tammie.

Miss D. said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I know how hard that is and it's a terrible feeling. Pets are members of your family and there is a huge hole when they are gone. Hugs.

Karen said...

I am so sorry. I'm ready to cry just thinking about this happening in our family.

Carla said...

My sympathies to you and your family!

Tania said...

I'm so sorry... *

Jessie Earth Momma said...

In this time of sadness and loss, remember to breathe. Relax...

Betts said...

You've had a rough go of it lately, and this just sucks. Go ahead and let yourself feel the pain for awhile. We've gone through this with 3 dogs in six years. I still miss each one, but the rawness of it passes. [[[[Hug]]]]

hester said...

So sorry about Lulu. She sounds like a terrific dog.

melissa s. said...

i'm so sorry, tammie. i know that pain so well. take care.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I am so sorry for your loss. May Lulu rest in peace. She was a beautiful girl!
xoxo

Layrayski said...

*hugs!*

kraftykash said...

Sorry to hear about Miss Lulu. Hope things are a little better for you all this week. :)