Sunday, May 17, 2009

London Cheesecake

I don't know if I've ever mentioned how much I like Nigella Lawson. I watch her show when I can, but sadly that isn't often because the girl doesn't like it when the TV is on the "dinner channel" for too long. I love Nigella's guilt free attitude about food and eating. She really enjoys food, so cooking isn't a chore. And I adore how at the end of almost every episode there are shots of her, dressed in her bathrobe, sneaking downstairs to nibble on items from the refrigerator. Every time I watch her show I think, I would love to hang out with this woman.

I only own one of Nigella's books, How To Be A Domestic Goddess. At the time I bought it, Nigella wasn't a big star yet here in the states but I had been watching her show on BBC America and was super excited about the book. Before reading it, I had always been scared of baking, just certain I'd mess things up and waste ingredients. But Nigella says "a cake is just a cake." Really, what is there to be afraid of? The Carrot Cupcakes from Domestic Goddess were the first cupcakes I made from scratch. Ever since then, I can count on one hand the times I've made something from a box. Duncan Hines just doesn't do it for me anymore.

The one baked good that still really frightened me was cheesecake. Between all the eggs, the egg yolks, the springform pan, and the water bath....there is just so much I'm unfamiliar with, so much that can go wrong. That all changed today though---I was bored and I had so many eggs in the refrigerator that it would be no huge deal if a few of them were wasted in a cheesecake experiment.

So I took the plunge and made the London Cheesecake.
The topping didn't come out as pretty as I would have liked, but I'm certain that's just because I'm an impatient doofus and removed it from the pan too soon. The taste though, is amazing.I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at a store bought cheesecake again.

Do you want to be a Goddess in the area of cheesecakes too? Well, you don't have to buy the book because the recipe is on Nigella's website. (FYI: If you hunt around the internet enough, you can find a few versions of the recipe that are a bit easier to understand for silly Americans such as myself who just don't get things like measurements in grams and "digestive biscuits.") Don't be scared of cheesecake. If I can do this, so can you.

16 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I've only seen a few episodes of her show, but I love the way she cooks.

Miss D. said...

I love Nigella too (let's hear it for curvy girls who like to eat!) and have that book... I haven't made her cheesecake but it looks like you did a fantastic job. Coincidentally, I just bought rhubarb and was thinking of making the pretty rhubarb tart that's in that book, but have been informed that it's 'pie or nothing'. So, that's that. Good job on the cheesecake! God I love cheesecake.

Tammie said...

nowhey: isnt she the best!?

daphne: god i love cheesecake too.

i think its great that shes not super skinny and doesnt care.

its funny because i always look at that rhubarb tart and wonder how it would taste but i cant good rhubarb here so its a no-go. i guess i'll just have to make more cheesecake. sigh.

hester said...

Yep...I love Nigella too. I dreamt she was giving me a one on one cooking lesson the other night. (Pretty weird, I know). Your cheesecake looks gorgeous, Tammie.

Tammie said...

hester: thank you. and that sounds like a great dream! most of my dreams are food related anymore.

earthmama said...

Oh my. mouth watering! i LOVE cheesecake and LOVED this post eve more! inspiring as always! you're quite the domestic goddess yourself!

earthmama

Becky..AMHW said...

I bake cheesecakes and don't have a springform pan. Frankly, I bake them to eat them and not to look pretty.

Rhubarb? Super super easy to grow. Seriously, it's like a weed. Got a bare spot in the yard? Get a rhubarb plant. I remember picking rhubarb when I was little just to snack on.

Now that I'm thinking about it I'm going to go order some.

kraftykash said...

That cheesecake looks wonderful! That is my favorite kind of cake. Never heard of Nigella (we dont have cable) but LOVE cheesecake. Did I mention I love cheesecake? hahaha

Maria Rose said...

I have never watched her show (no cable), but I have long shared your fear about baking. I am trying to overcome that this summer!

Betts said...

I baked before I cooked. It seemed easier to me, just to work on one thing and not have to time several things to be ready at once. The cheesecake looks sooooo good.

Karen said...

That is one seriously good looking cheesecake. I love watching Nigella cook--we haven't had cable in a while, and watching her cook (and eat!) is something I miss.

Layrayski said...

I like to watch cooking channels too. I'm not sure if I've seen Nigella's show but the name is familiar. hehe thanks for the post, I had a huge chuckle.


word verification: monst (short for monster?)

Layrayski said...

Hi tammie, I copied your linkwithin on my blog is it ok? =)

Layrayski said...

Hi tammie, I copied your linkwithin on my blog is it ok? =)tas

Tammie said...

lyra: i originally stole the link with ink thing from somebody else's blog so of course its ok!
:) HA

Mari said...

I love cheesecake, I only eat my own! It's the best when you make your own, yum! Made some for Easter. I like watching Nigella, but I've never made one of her recipes. My fav chef is the Barefoot Contessa, she makes the kind of food I grew up with.