Thursday, May 21, 2009

Aprons

I've been spending far too much time lately looking at handmade aprons on Flickr. There are so many beautiful ones. I'm especially drawn to and inspired by the wrap style aprons. (Take a look here at the Dottie Angel etsy shop to get an idea of what I'm talking about.) I love how they look like skirts.

After looking at all the apron prettiness, I had found myself lying in bed at night thinking about trying to make one of my own. Yesterday afternoon I whipped together this one as a first try:(You'll have to excuse my cruddy photos. It's rained here for three straight days and there is absolutely no sunlight, which does nothing for my already poorly lit house. So I had to take these outside, in the rain, while trying to keep the dogs from jumping on me. I'm sure my neighbors on the other side of that fence think that I have completely lost my mind.)

Like I said, I made this in one afternoon so it isn't as detailed as some of the ones I've been admiring. It's just vintage fabric, lined with a natural colored cotton blend, a blue and white seersucker tie: and a ric rac border on the bottom:After I finished this apron, I realized two things:

One being that I forgot to add pockets. I suppose I could always add a pocket or two, but because I already lined it, the pocket stitching would show on the other side and that would bug me. And to remove the lining, I'd have to disassemble the whole thing, which I'm so not motivated to do. Fortunately, I don't think pockets are absolutely necessary.

The second thing I realized is that, um, I never wear aprons. So this was a pretty pointless sewing project. Although, possibly I should start wearing them. My clothes might last longer plus this particular apron covered up all the holes in my tee shirt, which was kinda nice. I may try to make another one. One that is shorter and more utilitarian with a lot of pockets. Similar to the ones worn at The Home Depot, but more feminine and not bright orange. As for this one, it will probably end up going to Dawn in the next care package. She can add her own damn pockets if she so chooses. See, a gift and a task all in one! How kind of me.

9 comments:

Mari said...

That is such a pretty, simple apron. Your skills are good! Lined and everything, sheesh.

Miss D. said...

I like aprons too but never wear them. I totally forget. Also, I'm usually wearing pjs (or the equivalent) when I'm baking so who cares? But I agree: totally cute.

kraftykash said...

That turned out cute. Im sure Dawn will love it! As for the neighbors, let them think your crazy....its kinda fun that way! haha Glad to hear you finally got some rain.

Karen said...

I love the way those fabrics work together. And it looks good on you, too. I rarely wear aprons but I have am steadily assembling a collection, all of which are cleaner & better preserved than the rest of my wardrobe.

Maria Rose said...

I recently went through a phase where I wanted to make a cute little waist apron like you have made, but my belly is growing and my waist is disappearing. So, I will hold off until my waist reappears.

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

Ok. I am delurking. I love the apron. I love old fashioned aprons and have been wanting to make one for a long time. I have two that I regularly use, but they are starting to fray.
And I recently had to put down my dog and your posts about your dog really helped. Thanks.

Tammie said...

thanks everybody!

kash: im sure my neighbors think im nuts.

not your aunt bea: im so glad you delurked. its always interesting to find out who has been reading. im glad the doggie stuff helped. it's a hard thing isnt it?

Miss D. said...

I nominated you for a blog award!
http://never-travelled.blogspot.com/2009/05/im-wiener.html

Betts said...

How pretty. I'm often tempted to make an apron too, and I don't wear them. Like you, I shoud. Too many grease spots on clothes.