Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Allow Me A Moment to Blather On Incoherently

I suppose this is sort of stating the obvious, but rain is really hard to photograph. I can show you wet grass or where rain drops have landed on my shoe, but the rain itself is hard to capture. Wasn't it just last week that I was complaining about how hot and dry it's been? Well, someone must have gotten the memo that I was pissed, because for the last few days its been 59 degrees and rainy. I don't understand the completely unpredictable weather, but I'm not going to question it too loudly.

I've mentioned here recently how hard it's been for me to focus on the positive in my life. I'm in a rut and although I know no one can really change that but me, I don't know how or where to begin. I also need a change of scenery. But that, of course, is easier said than done. So I flounder. Getting through every day but not really feeling like I'm living those days.

My life has been very food centered lately. It seems as if I'm always in the kitchen. Sometimes I enjoy this, other times it's a dreaded part of the day. This is one more area in my life that I feel is out of balance and off kilter.

Every time I go out to the garden there are a few more cherry tomatoes ready to be picked.I hope to have enough for a salad soon but I don't know if that's going to happen since I find myself popping them into my mouth on the way back to the house.

This morning Jay made a giant pot of split pea soup, a perfect companion to the cold, drippy weather.
There's a positive :: A husband that makes great soup. And a family that is always willing to save me the butt end of the baguette because they know I love it so much.

As I started typing this, I really had no idea where it would take me. There are no easy answers or quick fixes to the generally bummed way I've been feeling. Some days are better than others. So far, today has been near perfect. I have a cool husband and a lot of pets who are always willing to snuggle. The kids haven't made me want to shove pencils in my ears. Today has been good.

If you only take one thing away from this post, let it be this :: Happiness is the butt end of the baguette.

12 comments:

Becky..AMHW said...

I'm here to tell ya...it's not wrong to want something more or something different. That's human...hell, that's interesting. And while it's good to reflect on the great things we do have it's also good to expand when our souls say we need to expand.

It seems like women these days have to be given permission to just do so as to not feel guilty over squibbles. Not that you need my permission necessarily but here it is, go, do. Expand.

Blink...there goes my blog post for tomorrow. Phooey.

Mari said...

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a rut too. I'm giving myself the day off!

Tammie said...

becky: i definitely think you are on to something. i guess im just stumped at the next step.

mari: congrats on your day off---you deserve it. i need a day or two off from life. :)

hester said...

I can definitely relate and agree with your friend, Becky.

Did you make that tablecloth underneath Jay's pot of soup? It's gorgeous.

Strangely, it is absolutely pouring here as well. It's like a deluge.You've challenged me to try and take a photo now.

Miss D. said...

I have to tell you that the photo of the soup with the bread-butt had me SO CONFUSED because for some reason I thought it was a whole ham hock sitting in your cup, but then I couldn't figure out the perspective, and then when I finally figured out it was a baguette, I had to laugh out loud. No wonder I could not figure out the cup/hamhock perspective.

I totally hear you about the out-of-sorts mood. I'm totally there too. I desperately need a change of scenery and have been feeling very stuck. I keep trying to get myself out of it, but nothing seems to work... except baking! Unfortunately *my* butt doesn't need more "ham" but I do love baking.

very very glad that you are not shoving pencils in your ear.

Tammie said...

daphne: i swear to god if jay served me a bowl of soup with an entire ham hock in it, i'd divorce him.

Tammie said...

hester: thanks. yeah, its actually just a cloth napkin that i made from various scraps i had.

(i just got your email and photos!)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

This weather is bizarre. I LOVE the rain but HATE the cold.
I hope things look up for you soon.
xoxo

Nowheymama said...

Mmm...soup.

earthmama said...

I love you! You are a funny gal!!! So real! Your humility keeps me coming back. If it's any consolation, I love reading your posts simply because you don't make me want to stick pencils in my ears when I've finished the last sentence. If we lived closer, I'd bring you dessert! Yay to the butt ends!

xoxo,
earthmama

Betts said...

I like the bready, white inside part, but yours sounds a lot funnier.

My suggestion, make a list of a few things that make you happy (that don't cost much) and do one or two a day.

Layrayski said...

Nice everyday photography tammie. very cool. I'm sad you felt unhappy. When I used to write (longer, more personal blog entries) I feel happy when I'm unhappy-- sometimes not being happy makes me productive in this area.

Btw, I love what you said in the end: about how happiness is the butt end of the baguette.