Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Alfred A. Ring Park

Most of you probably look forward to Spring. Your flowers bloom. Your weather becomes pleasantly warmer. You're able to spend hours on end outside. Sigh. I'm jealous. Here in Florida, we've already had 90 degree weather. Spring for me signals the beginning of the end. Soon it will be too warm to go outside and we'll be housebound until Fall. Until that happens, Jay and I are trying to cram a few more park trips into the schedule. Today we went to the Alfred A. Ring Park.
I tried to find some online info about this park but none seems to exist so I'm just going to describe the park as I know it. It's really less a park and more a nature trail. It has picnic tables but they're at the entrance right next to the bathroom and I've only seen them used once and that was by a hobo. I think most of the people that come here do so to run the mile long trail for exercise, not for the parks amenities. The park does have a little play area but it's quite sorry so we rarely use it. We refer to this as a "walking park" not a "play park."The trail runs along the Hogtown Creek.It hasn't rained here in a really long time so the creek hardly has any water in it. (I always feel melancholy when I see a dried up creek---why is that?)One of the coolest things about the park, in my opinion, is that it seems to be a little bit different every time we go. A tree almost always falls here during inclement weather: Plus, the many small bridges going over the creek tend to sink in the ground after a heavy rain, making them lopsided and bockety. As Jay says, "It's never the same park twice."

Of course, Liz Lemon's favorite park feature is all the wonderful smells to stop and sniff:The park also has a wildflower garden but I've lived in Florida all my life so wildflowers native to this area do nothing for me. Honestly, it looks like a patch of weeds. But I understand others might be into that sort of thing.

I hadn't meant for this post to be so negative. I really do like this park. I had fun when we went this morning. The trail is great and I love that I can bring my doggie. But as I sit here writing this, drinking my third glass of iced tea in 15 minutes, with my blackout curtains shut in order to keep out the sun that has been shining for what seems to be 60 straight days now, it's just hard to feel the love.

19 comments:

Miss D. said...

I could never live in Florida. (but that park looks gorgeous!)

Tammie said...

we hate it. we're slowly working our way out of this state.

Miss D. said...

You can come live by us. I'll babysit. :)

Nowheymama said...

Pretty!

Betts said...

Time to pack up for a vaca in VT. Pipsqueak will keep the girl and the boy busy exploring the pond, and we can sit on the deck drinking delicious drinks. The men folk can talk bathroom renovations and the art of German wood stacking.

kraftykash said...

We have lived in NE our entire lives. I agree, your own state gets kinda boring. Florida always sounds wonderful to me. :) I HATE hot and humid weather. I would hide behind curtains too.

veronica said...

You can also go looking for shark teeth in the creek. We saw a couple of people doing that when we went.

Aleta said...

I SO understand how you are feeling. In New Orleans we're muggy and staying in 89 degree weather. Yuck! I'm doing the same thing as you - trying to soak up the time outside while we can before the swelting summer makes it feel like a sauna outside! Loved the pictures!

Tammie said...

d: if you ever find two kids on your doorstep and a red car zooming away, dont ask questions---just take care of them for a few hours.

betts: i think thats a great idea.

kash: i hate the heat and the humidity too. its miserable. plus, they bring mosquitoes. fun.

veronica: really? i would never have thought that....interesting.

aleta: thank you. and i know isnt it awful. i feel like im under house arrest.

Mari said...

Wow, it looks like a jungle! I can't handle humidity anymore, I just get all slimy and feel like I'm going to drop dead. Liz Lemon is such a lucky dog : ) I guess I can't complain at the moment, the high today is 71, with 45% humidity. Even our legislature hasn't embarrassed us for a couple of days... and Rachel Maddow is in town to host a fundraiser. Life is good!

Tammie said...

it is kinda jungle like---and its right in the middle of the city.

and you're right---you have nothing to complain about at the moment. im jealous about rachel. im pretty sure it will be a cold day in hell before she comes to a shit hole like this.

jessieearthmomma said...

We could do a house swap for a week! Its cool enough here to keep a sweater on but warm enough to be outside to play.

Washington is the place to be! Once you live in the Pacific Northwest, you won't look back! It is truly the best place in the world.

Mari said...

Ha ha ha! I'm sure it's not that bad, but you're cracking me up! btw, no alligators where you are?

Tammie said...

i think i've just lived in this state too long...i have no love for it and i long for the day i can throw it aside like a dirty whore.
there are alligators around here but ive never seen them at this park. i dont think there's enough water.

Mari said...

ok, alligators would freak me out a little. I was freaked out by a rattlesnake last summer on a hike in the mountains. Not a good reptile person!

hester said...

I sympathise, Tammie. We get humidity and 100 degrees plus in summer too and it's no fun. I love the park pictures, though.

CT said...

I've been to Florida during the top of the heat and I agree, it is imperative to stay indoors! I liked it better for our honeymoon (November) because we had no rain, the weather was not so hot and the nights were nice and cool enough to be comfortable but not to merit a sweater...

If I lived there, I might think as you do! I'll never get used to heat!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

We are kind of the opposite, we SO look forward to the summer. The beach, the springs (way too cold any other time!), tubing down the Ichetucknee...that's what we live for.

beki said...

Being in south Louisiana, I can certainly sympathize. I wish I could look forward to summer like those who live in aeas with 4 seasons.