Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Shirt to Dress Refashion

A few years back I saw this shirt at Target:I was immediately drawn to the bohemian style of it. I threw it in the cart (without trying it on, of course) and continued my shopping. Long story short: I never wear it. It makes my arms look fat. Whatever. I saw it as having potential though, so I refused to part with it.

Yesterday it found its true calling when I took my scissors to it and remade it into a dress for the girl. I did like the style of the shirt and I wanted to keep as much of it in tact as possible, especially the white gauzy part at the top. I just needed to make it fit a tiny body. Basically, I just sliced into the shoulder seams and then carefully cut along the length of the sleeves about two inches, repeating that process on the front and back of both sleeves. This allowed me to bring the whole thing "up." (To give you an idea of what I mean, when my daughter put the original shirt on, the front hung down past her belly button.)

The most difficult part for me was reworking the armholes to an appropriate size. I can't tell you how I did that. A lot of trial and error; cutting, sewing, ripping, etc. Eventually it all came together in a way that pleased me.I really like this style of clothes for little girls. Sort of carefree ragamuffin, yet also perfect for wearing while collecting shells on a beach in the Hamptons as Mom sits on an expensive towel drinking a mimosa. (Statements like that make it clear how delusional I am, don't they?)

I've tried in the past to find similar style dresses that match this imagery I have in my head, but they're always way out of my price range. (here are some examples--especially this one.)Yeah, I'd have a hard time justifying a $125 dress for myself, let alone a four year old. So for now, the girl is going to have to be content with dresses from Target, etsy, the sales rack at The Gap, and shirts that make Mom's arms look fat.

17 comments:

Nowheymama said...

So cute! It WAS meant to be a dress.

Maria Rose said...

It turned out great. Looks like she was having a blast in it!

Dawn said...

I'm so impressed!

CT said...

Girl, you rock! you turned something cute but idle into something cute but rocking! she looks like she's up to a lot of fun in that dress!!!

I hope more blouses don't fit you in the years to come, if you are going to transform them in such a way! lol!

Betts said...

How cool! She gets to raid mommy's closet waaaayyy before most girls get to.

It reminds me of a lady I talked to in the thrift store a few weeks ago. She was buying mens' dress shirts to make into quilts. We can repurpose a lot of things if we allow ourselves to look at them differently.

Tammie said...

thanks so much everybody!!

maria rose: thank you. apparently it's perfect for puddle jumping.

nowhey: i totally agree. every time i was about to throw it away or sell it at a garage sale, i would stare at it and think how cute it would be as a dress for the girl. i knew that when my sewing skills got a bit better i would have to try and do something with it. what did i have to lose...it wasn't like i was going to wear it.

dawn: thank you :)

ct: cute but idle into cute but rocking! i love it.

betts: yeah, im really trying to see things differently and develop an eye for somethings possibilities.

kraftykash said...

That turned out great! So looks so cute splashing around. I hope you enjoyed that mimosa. That towel was so expensive!!

Tammie said...

kashoan: wasn't it though!!! i thought that price was a misprint at first.

Karen said...

You definitely captured the J.Crew vibe. I love how that gauzy flouncy $125 crewcuts dress is categorized as "everyday."

Tammie said...

thanks karen. and yeah, when i first saw the white dress i thought i had stumbled into the Weddings section.

Mari said...

How cute, she looks so tiny! Does she get excited about all these new clothes you've been making for her?

Tammie said...

she loves it mari..and i try to take advantage of it. im sure it wont be long before shes wanting things i cant make..like designer jeans.

hester said...

The dress looks beautiful on your little girl (especially her arms!). My sewing skills are so non-existent that I couldn't even follow what you were saying about how you did it. So I'm really impressed with your knowhow.

I loved the pretty dresses in your examples link, but have never even heard of a "courtyard dress". I'll have to get out more.

Tammie said...

hester, as you know my skills are forever in the developing stage, so its possible i didnt explain it clearly.

and yeah, i've never heard of a courtyard dress either.

melissa s. said...

adorable! i love the rainboots, too!

nytesong said...

I think it looks super cute. And the boots! It adds just the right additional touch of bohemian style.

Hailey said...

So pretty shirt dress you got from Target!! It provides really cute dress for babies!!