Friday, April 17, 2009

Random Thoughts

I've been a bit absent from here lately. Jay jokingly says I'm just a lazy, lazy woman but in actuality I've been sewing. A lot. I've had my machine on just about every day for the last few weeks. My dream is to one day get a hotel room for just myself and the machine so that we can have some uninterrupted alone time.

*One of the things I've been working on is this pillowcase style dress for the girl.I really wanted to have a picture of her actually modeling it, but she was being a snot about the whole thing and when I finally had her talked into putting it on and going outside, she fell and skinned her knee. Obviously, my main concern at this point was that she not get blood on the dress, but when I tried to put a band-aid on her knee she freaked and I figured it just wasn't worth it. So, that's why there is no live model.

I used this tutorial from Susan over at Freshly Picked. The directions were clear and pretty easy for me to follow. Plus, Susan used to have an Etsy shop and I just so happened to have a few of her dresses laying around which were helpful to look at if I was stumped. This was my first attempt at making and attaching bias tape, which was definitely tricky but I think it's one of those things that will get easier the more I do it.

*Last weekend I sent Jay on a mission to find a kiddie pool for the girl to splash around in. He drove all over town and came home with the biggest kiddie pool I had ever seen. The box it came in has a few funny bits on it that I thought I'd share with you:

Like skanky mom:
You'd think the kiddie pool people would require that her swimsuit not look like a bra and panty set. Who dresses like this around their kids? And why is she in a bathing suit in the first place? Is she gonna splash around in the kiddie pool too? (As a side not to this, when Jay first came home with the pool he said, "Well, I finally found a pool but if you want to set it up you're obviously going to have to put on your two piece first." Yeah, he's a funny guy.)

Check out her manicure:The most entertaining part of the box to me though, is this warning:
Competent supervision? There are many days I shouldn't be supervising the activities in this pool.

*In other news related to product packaging, I was reading the back of the Arm & Hammer baking soda box the other day and I noticed at the top it reads, Fresh Box For Baking: Since an open box of Baking Soda naturally absorbs unwanted smells and odors, always use a fresh unopened box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to make the best tasting cookies and cakes.

What?! I know people use baking soda to keep unwanted odors under control, but it never occurred to me that the same box couldn't be used for baking as well. I buy a box of baking soda every couple of weeks and that box is used for cleaning, baking, to wash my hair with when I'm doing the no shampoo thing, and occasionally I use it to brush my teeth. Sometimes that box sits on my bathroom counter for days and I've never noticed my homemade baked goods tasting like my bathroom.

Frankly, I think this is a conspiracy by Arm & Hammer to get people to buy more baking soda. I've been known to bake three or four times a week. I would soon be devoting a large portion of my grocery budget to baking soda. Then what would I do with all those open boxes only missing one teaspoon? My house would be filled with little orange boxes.

(Also, please no jokes about how boring my life must be if I'm reading the back of the baking soda box and then giving it this much thought.)

*So far this year I've read 20 books. I haven't been documenting it here because a lot of what I've read has been mindless fluff. As always, if interested you can pop over to Goodreads and check out the list.

10 comments:

Karen said...

What, you don't tart yourself up to go in the kiddie pool? What about feathering your bangs? Because that lady has definitely gone to work on her hair.

Love the pillowcase dress.

Miss D. said...

Oh, I'm going to track you and your fluffy books down. :)

PS, and probably totally inappropriate, but the first "real" (as opposed to gag gift -- no pun intended about the 'gag') vibrator I bought for myself said on the packaging the words: "do not use near genitalia" Ummmm?? I called the store and they said it was because it was manufactured by a Christian company who was very adamant that this was NOT a vibrator!! It was a 'personal massager'. WhatEVER. That kind of made my day.

Miss D. said...

PS: OMG I love your books! I should re-read Flowers In The Attic...

Nowheymama said...

Hee hee, skanky mom. I JUST read something today that said that baking soda doesn't absorb odors like people think it does. I still think that it does, but I'm sure as heck not buying a new box each time I bake! It's a conspiracy by the baking soda industry....

Tammie said...

karen: i know right?! the picture looks like it's from 1987. i guess thats to be expected considering it was bought at kmart. that place is like the land that time forgot.


daphne:ha ha ha ha ha too funny.

i get a lot of catalogs in the mail and there is this one i get that is filled with old lady beauty products and there is a section for "personal massagers"--it shows old gals massaging there necks and legs...but c'mon, we all know what they are really using them for! i've used real personal massagers before and they don't come with an "ultimate pleasure" setting.

i gotta ask: was the christian made vibrator as good as a heathen made vibrator?

nowhey: im glad you agree with me.

CT said...

LOL! you had me laughing so hard, Tammie! you are right about the bra and panty set! I laughed my heinie off that! Oh and it IS a conspiracy... c'mon! like everybody bakes as much as to finish the box the very same day you open it! LOL! unless you are a bakery, and then you buy 10 pound boxes... and then it is the same thing...nobody uses 10 pounds of baking soda.. unles you are WONDER (the bread company, not us who are WONDERFUL).. ok, I'm gonna stop now. My brain is clearly malfunctioning.

melissa s. said...

i am laughing: at your pool, your baking soda and the fact that we share the same hotel room + sewing machine fantasy!

Mothering Two said...

holy cow, you crack me up! lol!

Tammie said...

mothering: im so glad you left a comment here. i used to read your blog all the time and had it bookmarked but the last time i had to reformat my computer i lost that info and couldn't find you again. yay! you're found!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

That swimming pool model gives me the heebie Jeebies!