Monday, April 6, 2009

Random Thoughts

* The boy got his cast off last Friday. Now he just has to wear a splint for two weeks. Also on Friday, we received a "Statement of Benefits" from the insurance company. You know, those things that say "THIS IS NOT A BILL" at the top but list everything the doctor did with scary prices next to it? Yikes. So far, it looks like our portion is going to be around $600. I'm handling this surprisingly well. I think as I'm getting older I'm better learning to worry about what I can control, and not waste time worrying about the rest. It's a skill I've spent my whole life perfecting.

*Last night Jay and I watched Owning Mahony. I adore Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but this movie dragged. Basically, if you want to watch a not-so-lovable loser gamble away millions for an hour and a half, you may enjoy this.

*Yesterday my son had a friend over for most of the day. I'm always amazed by the amount of food two ten year old boys can eat. Truly shocking amounts.

*Also, yesterday I got out the bleach and did some spring cleaning. (Boring topic, I know, but I swear I'm going somewhere with this....) I hate using bleach and I don't buy it often----maybe twice a year. It burns my skin and eyes and I hate the smell. Unfortunately though, sometimes it's the only thing that works to really give parts of the house a deep clean. But of course, being the type of person that I am, just buying bleach makes me feel guilty and conflicted. I know how horrible it is for the environment and probably the health of my family. But sometimes I just really want clean floors! Anyway....I know there are some earthy gals that read this and I would love some feedback on this topic. Do you use bleach? If so, how often? Do you feel the guilt that I described? If you don't use bleach, have you found something that works just as well to clean a really disturbing mess? (I have kids and a lot of animals...so yes...some of the messes around here can only be described as disturbing.)

*My best friend is coming for a visit tomorrow. Although we talk or email almost daily, it's been years since we've actually seen each other. I'm going to make a trifle and we plan to watch Twilight. We are both very excited.

14 comments:

jessieearthmomma said...

I want to come over and watch Twilight with you girls!!! :-)

I use Seventh Generation non chlorine bleach. Pretty much, IF we buy chemical cleaners, we buy the lesser of all evils on the shelf. Mostly we use vinegar or alcohol and tea tree oils.

Peace,
JEM

CT said...

I really dislike bleach too, but as you say, it is the ONLY way to clean some things! I find the smell disgusting (sort of a locker full of OLD dirty socks). I'll be waiting, too, to hear some of the advice you receive!!! :)

OH! can I come over to watch Twilight?

Mari said...

Have fun with your friend! The trifle sounds really good, too ; )

I like to have bleach on hand. As long as you dilute it to use it and are careful to put it down your sink when you are done, it will not do much to the environment. You just never want it to go down a storm drain (I can't imagine how that would really happen...) Good old liquid dishsoap is all you need for most jobs. I think the antibacterial cleaners are really bad... all of these bad bugs are building up a tolerance.

Tammie said...

jessie: i've never used any of the non chlorine bleaches, always just assuming they weren't as good. i may have to try the seventh generation one.

ct: sure! hop a flight and come on over!

mari: interesting...i think part of my problem is that i never dilute it enough. i act on the (stupid) assumption that it will work better and quicker if i just dump 1/4 of the bottle on whatever i want to clean. and it does clean quickly, but then i feel sick for two days. even when i do dilute it, i dont think i do it enough.
also...possibly this is a stupid question, but is there any difference between dumping it down the sink and dumping it down the toilet?..because thats how i usually dispose of my cleaning water mixture and i always assumed it just went straight to our rivers and lakes.....is this errant thinking?

and yeah..i hate everything antibacterial as well. i think the whole thing was just a marketing ploy.

Maria Rose said...

I don't use bleach and I have a solution. I use a hydrogen peroxide based cleaner you can get it from Ecover or Seventh Generation or just make it yourself I think it's like 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide. Don't drink it and don't pour it in your aquarium, but it's a heck of a lot better than bleach. Does the trick. I have a crappy old white sink that stains when pretty much anything touches it and this does the trick. Also it cleans toilets and floors just as well.

Miss D. said...

I'm with you- I rarely use bleach but something it's the only thing that will do. I try to use it as infrequently as possible, and then just air out the house after. Mostly I use a combination of baking soda and vinegar, or whatever natural-ish cleaner I have on-hand. But sometimes, you gotta use the bleach (at least, that's what I think).

Becky..AMHW said...

You'd be amazed what you can clean with just plain vinegar and baking soda. Takes a little scrubbing, but no fumes.

Keep in mind that whatever you use normally to clean your floor can leave a residue which will react with your bleach and cause fumes. Cleaners can be waxy.

Other than using bleach in the laundry on occasion, I don't usually clean with it. I clean with ammonia, vinegar, and cleanser. When I deeper clean I used Greased Lightning. I really like that stuff.

Tammie said...

you all are so wonderfully helpful. you're giving me suggestions and making me feel less guilty about using bleach the few times i have to. you guys are the best!

for the record, i usually clean with vinegar and baking soda. i think its perfect for most parts of the house and i dont mind doing the extra scrubbing it takes to get things shiny. but sometimes i want to take it up a notch---which is when i bring out the bleach. plus, scrubbing my floors on my hands and knees just doesnt appeal to me.

maria rose: interesting. i truly never thought to do anything with peroxide. i may have to give it a shot.

kraftykash said...

Bottom Line I hate cleaning! My Grandma always taught me to keep the areas of the house clean where company can see. That is what I do. I've become really good at using "blinders", when it comes to certain things. :)Clorox wipes, and mulitpurpose cleaners are my friends.
WARNING: My son is 13 and the eating things gets WORSE! We literally hide certain things so the grocery will last longer around here. I just told him last nigt "Everytime I look at you, you are eating!"
Im so glad your friend is coming over. Have an absolute blast!!

Tammie said...

kash: i hate to hear that about the eating. i already hide food pretty regularly. i dont want to think about the teen years.

Carla said...

Mmmmm trifle, I'm on my way!

Betts said...

I don't use bleach too much, but I like the smell of it. I also like the smell of cow manure and car exhaust, so there's no accounting for taste.

Karen said...

I feel the same about bleach, but until somebody invents something nontoxic that will murder the mold in my gross old bathroom and my gross new front loader, I will buy the occasional gallon of cancer-causing bleach.

melissa s. said...

i second (or third?) the 7th generation non chlorine bleach for cleaning. for laundry, i try to line dry my stuff outdoors as often as possible, especially dishtowels and other stuff that otherwise would require bleach.