Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Care Packages

The visit with my best friend Dawn was wonderful...but far too short. We only had about four hours to spend together but I think we made the most of it. As planned, we ate trifle, watched Twilight, and read some Twilight related literature. (i.e. Life and Style magazine) When it was time for her to leave, I really hated to see her go....I felt like we were just getting started.

Something Dawn and I have been doing for a while now is exchanging care packages. Over the course of a few months, we collect various items for the other person to borrow or keep, as the case may be. Then when the box gets full (but not so full that it becomes costly to ship), we pop it in the mail. Yesterday we were able to exchange our packages in person, which we both thought felt a little weird.

Among some of the items in her box to me were:
Magazines she knows I love, yet rarely buy:
Giant stack of vampire books:
(There was definitely a vampire theme to our visit.)

Awesome beauty cast offs and samples:There is a reason I refer to her as The Beauty Guru.

Dawn was also kind enough to throw in some prunes, because we had a prune discussion a few weeks back. Yep, that's the kind of friendship we have.

Aside from the books and magazines I shared with Dawn, there was also:

Cloth napkins:
I know there are napkin tutorials everywhere but I actually used Crystal's tutorial for Food Protectors to make these. Very simple and very fun to make. (Plus, Crystal's whole post about them is hilarious.)

This bag, which is the Drawstring Travel Bag from Weekend Sewing:I made the medium size bag, which is perfect for holding food protectors and a box of Edward candy.

I can't believe Dawn is gone already. But I'm excited to read all the vampire books I now have in my possession. Maybe one day soon we'll be able to discuss them in person.

11 comments:

CT said...

Oh that is so nice!!! how did you come up with the idea? I love it!
And I see yet ANOTHER thing we have in common... isn't it weird how vampires, if you think about it, are about the gruesomest of monsters there are, but also the most fascinating? I love vampire stories, movies, etc. but you cannot make me watch five minutes of say... Resident Evil. Or Zombies.... Or The Demon... or The Omen... you get the idea

Tammie said...

i cant take total credit. i think dawn actually sent the first care package, and it took off from there.

and yeah im the same way... i HATE horror movies. but i love vampires.

Nowheymama said...

What a nice idea!

kraftykash said...

I will have to look into those vampire books. Im stuck on fun reading! And what a fun idea on the care package...I always look forward to the mail, that would make it great! Yummmmm triffle

kraftykash said...

I bet you had to hide that triffle from the boy. Mine would have ate it all in 2 seconds and then asked for seconds!

earthmama said...

Did you make the trifle? Actually, I have never eaten trifle before, but this one looks amazing! What's in it? Love the fabric for the napkins! The handmade things are such a nice gift. Sounds like you have a great friendship there! I love the care package idea! So nice!

earthmama

Betts said...

What a cool tradition. And that trifle looks to-die-for.

BloomingAlmond said...

care packages are such a great idea!
Now i really have to find a friend to exchange those :D

Tammie said...

kash: i didnt hide it but i did have to threaten to chop off some fingers if he touched it. :)

earthmama: trifles are so easy! it can be anything you want, just layered in a pretty way. this particular one is just a ripped up cake (duncan hines), vanilla pudding, and strawberries soaked in sugar. oh and a think ol layer of cool whip on top. but really the possibilities are endless.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love the care package idea, I may have to steal that.

Mari said...

What a great visit! I thought it would be a few days, I'm sorry she had to go : (