Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What Really Grinds My Gears :: Part Two

It's that time again....Time for a short and silly list of things that I'm finding irritating.

*Daylight Savings Time
I hate this time of year. I hate longer days. I hate sending my son to school when it's still dark and I hate trying to put my daughter to bed when it's still sunny out. Plus, here in Florida it means hot weather is right around the corner.

*Gwyneth Paltrow and her GOOP
I've always wanted to like Gwyneth. She has impeccable style, I agree with her politically(more or less), and she seems smart. Plus, she's always in movies I want to see---until I find out that she's in them. But I really just can't stand her. I think she's incredibly self righteous, smarmy, and completely out of touch with the average person and her website, Goop proves that. Again, I wanted to like the website but it is just too over-the-top. Take for instance her romantic Valentine's Day menu:

Fried Oysters with Curried Crème Fraîche
Roasted Poussins and Potatoes
Steamed Artichokes with Cheat’s Aioli
Molten Chocolate Cakes

Yeah, I can totally see her slaving in the kitchen all day making this for Chris Martin. Whatever.

Plus, I blame her for single handedly turning the word liberal into a derogatory term. When conservatives use the term "liberal elite"--they're referring to people like her. She assumes that anyone who disagrees with her must be an ignorant, cousin-humping hillbilly. Oh, and she totally fucking ruined Coldplay for me.

*Standardized Testing
It's FCAT time for the boy. Although he's always done well on these tests in the past, it's still a stressful time for all of us. I hate the way this one test can make or break his entire school year. That's a lot of pressure.

*When the sound and images aren't in sync on my favorite TV shows
There has been something wrong with my local FOX station lately. You know when you watch an old Japanese movie like Godzilla and the words don't match up with the actors lips? That's how a lot of my TV viewing has been lately. Slightly annoying.

14 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Yes! Down with DST! And I feel the same way about Gwyneth Paltrow.

Mari said...

I absolutely agree with the whole list, Tammie. I would like to watch 7 again, and see if it cheers me up when Brad receives Gwyneth's head in a box. Probably not, now that I think of it. I can't really watch that type of thing since I've become a mom. I can't imagine what she and Madonna talk about when they're hanging out. G said they have play dates for the kids. I'll bet the conversation is actually staggeringly boring.

Oh, and add to your list more unattended children wreaking havoc. I went to Piper's band concert last night, and parents set their small children free... free to torture the rest of us.

CT said...

Oh gosh! finally I don't feel like a sourgrape! I am constantly annoyed at GP!!!!!!!!!!

And... About the tests, you should read The Element. Sir Ken Robinson goes into minute detail about how Standarized Tests are good... if you are say a car or something. But if you are a kid, it says ZERO about yourself. We are not made with cookie cutters, so why should kids be measured like they were line produced. Loved the book!

earthmama said...

I love this list. Great rant! DST is kicking my ass big time. I too want to like Gwynnie- she's ruining it for me though. My fav line:

"She assumes that anyone who disagrees with her must be an ignorant, cousin-humping hillbilly."

So true and still laughing! we're dealing with testing the end of this month--for the FIRST time! It's quite a scandalous time- all this teaching to the test, teachers ready to snap, kids feeling the stress- WTF? For what? Sucks.

I FRIGGING LOVE your cup cake photo! So good! Vintage linens? Nice. Love it!

WHY GOOP? What a bizarre-o name, right? Bad. EVEN Gwynnie needs a consultant. Hell, if she just would have asked me, I would have set her straight! GOOP- bad, bad name.
You rock my world!

Living on the edge,
earthmama

kraftykash said...

I agree DST sucks! I still cant get my a** out of bed in the morning, let alone the kiddos. As far as the testing goes, we DONT make a deal out of it at our house at all! Its just another day. I hope that does not sound too bad. I promise I will get back to blogging soon.

Tammie said...

i had no idea everyone else hates Gwyneth too! Yay!

mari: i understand...i can't watch stuff like that either. it stresses me out. and i bet you're right, i bet the conversation is boring.
and i would definitely add unattended children to the list. i hate that! im always really conscientious about my kids bothering people because i know I dont want other peoples kids bothering me.

ct: im going to look up that book.

earthmama: ugh..good luck with the standardized tests. (and lets not even get started on teaching to the test---we may end up in yet another heated discussion with Texan Mama--HA HA)and you rock my world too!

kashoan: no i completely understand because we are kinda the same way here---other than mentioning the importance of the test, i basically just tell the boy to relax and try his best. what more can he do? and yes, you need to get back to blogging---ive missed you. :)

Miss D. said...

You are totally cracking me up. I only looked at GOOP once, but I might have to visit it again, because who can't use a good laugh right about now?? I totally agree with you.

I usually do not like DST either, but this year our new house is SO COLD that I can't wait for it to be warmer. Usually I am completely the opposite.

BloomingAlmond said...

you know i always had that thing with gwyneth paltrow too...

Betts said...

I've been hating George Bush all week for making DST come early.

melissa s. said...

GP ruined coldplay for me too. i can't get the image of CM singing all the songs to her. i don't even try to like her anymore.

can you opt out of standardized testing in florida? i think oregon used to allow it, but No Child Left Behind may have reversed that. what a waste of our education $s.

Carla said...

Other than feeling groggy and out of sorts for a week I like DST. Around her it means that our frigid cold should end soon?!!

Tammie said...

betts: i thought i was the only one who hates george bush for making it come early!! as if i needed another reason to hate him.

melissa s: no there is no opting out here. gosh, i wish though.

hester said...

I was inspired by your post to visit Goop which I had read about in the paper (how annoying people found it). I was SO put off by the icon that said "Get". Doesn't that just sum it all up?

Tammie said...

hester: yeah that was something that really bugged me too. i mean, everyone has wish lists, but the "GET" section just seemed more materialistic than most.