Tuesday, March 17, 2009

An Update

The boy's surgery went well. Other than the cast he has to wear for the next three weeks, everything is slowly returning to normal. He went to school today and didn't even bother to take his pain medications. He says he's in no pain at all. What a waste of perfectly good prescription strength pain relievers! Is it wrong of me to covet my sons pain pills?

In all honesty, I think this whole thing was harder on me than it was on him. I've always been lucky in that my kids are really healthy. This is only the second time in his ten years of life that the boy has had to take prescription medicine---so a lot of this is all new to me. I now have immense respect for the parents (or anyone for that matter) that have to deal with ongoing health conditions and/or serious illness. It's not just the constant worry about your kids-although that's the huge part-but it's all the little irritants and indignities that you have to deal with just to make things better. The mountains of paperwork that after a while seem confusing or redundant; the incredibly long waits in uncomfortable chairs (part of the reason I'm coveting my son's pain pills); the weird questions (Does your son have a will? Um, no and frankly I don't really want to think about him needing one.) And personally, I always get the impression that the doctors think I'm asking dumb questions. I just want to scream, I know you deal with this every day, but I don't! After a while, it really all just starts to wear you out. I'm more tired now than I have been in years.

For what it's worth, most everyone we dealt with was super kind and nice, especially the nurses. I think nurses know that sometimes doctors can be jerks so they try their best to be as nice as possible to make up for it if the doctor slips into asshole territory. Just a theory.

We have some more doctors appointments later in the week, so things aren't totally back to normal yet, but we're getting there. I'm still trying not to think about the cost of all of this. Who knows, maybe the world will end before I start getting bills? Or maybe I'll just get lucky and finally slip into that deep, restful coma I've been wishing for.

15 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I'm glad he's recovering--even if you're not yet! :)

Betts said...

I've been thinking about you and hoping things were going ok. This too shall pass.

Tammie said...

thanks ladies. :)

Mari said...

I am so relieved about the boy, now what can we do about you?!

Crystal said...

I am glad to hear that your son is doing well.

You better save those pain pills for when the bills come in. They might come in handy right about then. Baahaa!

(I am just kidding. Well, mostly kidding. I don't encourage that sort of behavior. Ahem. I mean we are adults now. We can but our own stiff drinks for those lovley kiss your money goodbye days. ;))

earthmama said...

virtual cocktails, say 9pm? No, 6pm--starting early sounds better! Cheers babe and keep on fighting the good fight. What a rough time! Thank god he's getting better and so resilient.

You will both arise stronger! And those bills. Ugh. One day at a time. There's always a little Suzie inspiration:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2091995/Women-and-Money-by-Suze-Orman

Thinking on you,
earthmama

Maria Rose said...

I'm glad to hear that all is well!

kraftykash said...

WOW! Life has been crazy at your house! Im sorry to hear about "the boy". You deserve a bottle of barefoot. Paperwork, bills, and rude people suck! Hang in there girlfriend!

hester said...

Glad your boy has bounced back so well. Yep..doctors can be a huge pain. Take it easy now while YOU recover.

Layrayski said...

hi tammie, what happened to the boy? I'm happy he's not in pain anymore. Take care of yourself. =)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

It sounds like the worst of it is over. You really are fortunate that you haven't had to deal with much medical stuff with your kids. It's a headache! I hope it continues to go well.

Tammie said...

crystal: believe me, there were many stiff drinks involved after this.

kashoan:how'd you know i loved the barefoot?

kraftykash said...

Didnt I tell you Im a mind reader??? hehehe I made a cute little trinket out of wine corkscrews and used ALOt from barefoot. You told me then that you like it too.

Carla said...

What a saga! (I was just catching up having been away!) It makes me thankful for our health care system her in Canada. I'm glad your son is on the mend - it's true that it's always harder on us parents!

Tammie said...

im incredibly jealous of your health care system.