Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Totally Wishing "Make Myself a Skirt" had Been Added to the List of New Years Resolutions

You may remember that one of my New Years Resolutions was to make the Nutcracker Doll on the cover of Stitched in Time: Yeah. I haven't even begun working on that. Unless you consider walking by the book on a daily basis and occassionally glancing at the cover, "working" on it. Which I do.

I did recently accomplish something on my ever-growing mental list of things to do....I made myself a skirt.It's the Betsy Ross No Pattern Skirt. I've had the link to it saved on my computer for a long time now while I worked up the nerve to cut into the fabric.

I made a few mistakes while making this and at one point had to rip some seams out and start certain steps over again, but for the most part it came together easily. I would estimate that from start to finish, it took me about five hours, completed over a period of three days. I took things real slow.

The only true flaw is that I made it a bit big in the waist, but that doesn't bother me too much. A lot of my clothes are big in the waist. I have two bad habits:

*When I buy clothes, I never try them on.
*I always misjudge my size and think I'm larger than I am.

So this skirt pretty much fits like everything else in my closet.

I definitely plan on making more of these. Now that I've successfully completed one, I think I can tweak the tutorial a bit to better suit my body and be sure to make it fit in the waist. Plus, since I know not to make the same mistakes as last time, the whole process won't take very long at all.

The style of the skirt is perfect for my life: cute and fun, yet long enough so that all my junk doesn't hang out if I were to mistakenly bend at the waist and not at the knee. Watch for it this spring and summer as I model it (the skirt, not my junk) at grocery stores and play parks all over town.

12 comments:

kraftykash said...

Very Creative! Thanks for clarifying about you hanging out in the skirt and not your junk. I was about to email the junk patrol in Florida! :)
That is a fun skirt!

kraftykash said...

BTW...I just missed 3 out of 10 on the Nickledeon quiz. I forgot until just now that Alanis Morisette was on that show! I absolutely LOVE her music!

Mari said...

That skirt is just way cute! Now you have to model it in the future...

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

I looked through that book the other day and I want it!!! Happy Tuesday!

P.S. Would love to have you join us for the Spring Swap if you're interested.

Aleta said...

How sweet! I like the skirt! I wish I could sew cloths. What a wonderful skill to have.

earthmama said...

I love love love the fabric! The skirt came out great! I always misjudge my size too, except the other way around : )

That junk in your trunk will look mighty fab under your sassy new skirt! You inspire me!

earthmama

Nowheymama said...

Great job!

Miss D. said...

You crack me up. I have to try this! I am not a very good seamstress but have made skirts before. I need a good spring/summer skirt. Adorable.

Maria Rose said...

I do the same thing with clothes, I always buy two sizes too large.

Your skirt looks great. I can see real development!

Betts said...

Don't stress over the NY resolutions yet. It's only March. I love the skirt, and you and your junk make me laugh. Just what I needed today.

melissa s. said...

ack, that's adorable! i also never try on clothes, but have the exact opposite problem when it comes to bringing home the wrong size (ahem).

CT said...

It looks great!!!!! and I love the print! it is just too cute for words!