Monday, March 9, 2009

Things That Kept Me Busy When I Wasn't Blogging

(I want to thank you all for your kind comments last week. I totally appreciate them and they all made me feel so loved. We're doing ok here, settling into a new normal. Life goes on.)

*Watching Saved. Very funny. I regret that it took a month to finally get around to watching it. Next up on the Blockbuster Queue: Milk.

*Coraline. The creepiest children's book I've ever read. I loved it and so did the boy. I will never again see black buttons as innocent garment fasteners. Never.

*Another Lazy Days skirt for the girl.
It's going to be a sad day when she is too big for these skirts. Not only because I love the way they look on her, but they can be thrown together so quickly yet I still get that feeling of accomplishment when I make one. (or two.....or six.)

*Fabric as ArtI love the look of pretty fabric stretched over an embroidery hoop. (Lovely examples here and here.) I recently bought some fabric that matched the girl's room perfectly and just couldn't resist.The hoops have all been collected from Freecycle, which made this project quick, easy, and inexpensive.

*Painting Mom's roomI did the brown wall. Jay did the blue ones. New life. New room.

*New(ish) pillows to go along with the New Room.When I first began sewing a few months back, I made these patchwork pillows for my mom:For numerous reasons, I had grown disgusted by the sight of them. The fabric was hopelessly dated and thin. (I had gotten it off of Freecycle so it was great for what I was able to do at the time.) The poor quality fabric, combined with my young sewing skills, meant that these guys were falling apart. When I told my mom I was going to make new ones to match her room she said, "But I like these." To which I replied, " I don't care. You can't have them."

Friday I ripped them in half, kept the brown corduroy side, and made the other side with some lovely Robert Kaufman fabric.Plus, and most importantly, I remembered to add some top stitching this time. Hopefully these pillows will have a longer life.

*Dan ZanesDo I need to list all the reasons I love Dan Zanes? The crazy hair. The thrift shop clothes. The way he can't seem to stand still. Most importantly, the fact that he makes "all-ages" music that doesn't make me want to sharpen pencils to a murderously fine point and repeatedly stab them into my ears. This music isn't just for kids. Think I'm lying? I'm listening to one of his cd's now....and I'm the only one home.

My mom and I took the girl to see Dan and Friends yesterday afternoon. Dan doesn't like for folks to stay in their seats. He wants to see dancing and movement. He wants a dance party. This concert came at a great time...it really helped to pull me out of the funk I was in.

My mom took the girl down to "the pit" and they squeezed their way directly in front of the stage. The girl was inches from Dan, staring up at him in awe.

This was our second Dan Zanes and Friends concert. The girl was not quite three the last time we took her, and I think she got more out of it this time. I highly recommend Dan to everyone, even if you don't have little kids. It's nearly impossible to be miserable around him.

10 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I am glad to hear that you are all doing so well with all of the change going on!

Nowheymama said...

You've been busy! I forgot all about those fabric hoop wall hangings. I just unearthed one of my fabric children's books and was wondering what to do with the undamaged pages. That would be perfect!

Mari said...

Wow, you have really gotten a lot done! I love the pillows, they are really beautiful.

Betts said...

I love the dual color room painting and matching pillows. You've got an eye for decorating. I'm glad you found a few things to pull you out of your funk.

kraftykash said...

I'm glad to hear that things are getting back to normal. You were very creative during your "blog free" time. Im impressed!

melissa s. said...

hey there -- i've been mia too. glad to see you're settling into a new normal. i know that shift very well andd it's never easy. just different. LOVE all your crafty shennanigans!

Tania said...

Gosh Tammie :)
Those walls, hoops, fabrics, pillowcases... Oh wow :D
You blew my mind `:)

Tammie said...

thanks everybody...yeah, i really tried to keep myself busy and it worked. i'm feeling a lot better.

nowhey:that would be beautiful...i have a couple fabric books too...what a great idea.

mari: thank you. i like them much better than the other ones.

betts: thanks...i was all gung ho about the paint colors at first, then after i did the brown i was a little scared...it came together nicely though.

kash: thank you :)

melissa s: i know! i've missed you lately.

tania: thank you lady! it's so nice to have you back here semi regularly.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the color scheme of mom's new room!

Karen said...

I love that shade of brown paint--caramel, judging from the picture. Those pillows look great. It's so gratifying to rip up an old, unsatisfying project and make something perfect out of it.