Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rainbows and ice Cream

Have you been over to The Crafty Crow lately? I love all the rainbow activities listed today.

I pop over to The Crafty Crow daily with the full intention of picking something to do with the girl. Usually though, the activities aren't age appropriate, we don't have the needed supplies on hand, or it's just one of those days where I don't want to sit in the same room with her long enough to do a project. (Don't judge me!)

But today's ideas are totally easy and completely doable. I knew she would only last for one project though---it was a toss up between the recycled rainbow color wheel and the rainbow collage tally sheet. We decided on the tally sheet.As you can see, I left out indigo. I thought introducing the word would end up causing more work (for me) and taking some of the fun out of the project (for me). I know....very lazy parenting.I've learned, with this child in particular, that I need to keep things as simple as possible or I'm likely to end up frustrated and in a twenty minute discussion about the difference between blue and indigo. Plus, I never really stressed that it was a 'rainbow' anyway, just a color project.

Either way, it ended up not mattering. We did a project together. She was quiet. It was enjoyable.

Of course, afterwards she followed me around the house for a half an hour begging loudly for soda. See, I give this child Diet Coke once and it's all I hear about for a week. I didn't give in though. What I did do, was distract her with Nick Jr so that I could hide in the pantry and eat half a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby. I know.....very lazy parenting.

11 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I think a little reward in the closet after the successful project is well deserved.

Miss D. said...

I'm cheering you on. :)

Nowheymama said...

Thanks for the Crafty Crow link!

Tammie said...

maria rose: thank you...because you are an artist, im considering your comment words from an expert.

Mari said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, we've all been there, and what a fun thing she has to remember now. : )

Betts said...

I used to try hiding when I ate things I didn't want to share, but then she started smelling my breath. She's like the snack police with a breathalizer test.

What you're doing is very far from bad parenting.

Tammie said...

mari and betts: thanks guys. honestly sometimes i feel like the worst mom in the world and that my daughter is only going to remember me as this crazy lady that yells a lot.

betts: i know what you mean, that's how it is here too. the second i open something yummy it seems as if children come from all over. how do they know?!?!

CT said...

Well, then I am a lousy mom as well!!! I try to get some activities that keep my girls entertained so I can knit or sew!!!! and when my hubbie gets home I leave them with him and (with a plausible excuse) I go out for a walk or get an ice cream...

Tammie, it is just self preservation! if you get too involved in something, it is healthy to step out from time to time.

Heather said...

Oh My God! That is the best frickin' ice cream ever! You had a good reason, but I say, if it's on hand, you better eat it!! 'cause that is reason enough!
Fun project. I wish my 2 year old had the patience to try cutting, we might try again. He'd like the hunting for colors part. I deserve some CH as well! We're potty learning TWO under THREE now, I can't even believe it. Is it true for everyone, are girls just always easier?

BloomingAlmond said...

thanks! i didn't know crafty crow :)
and hey.... don't feel bad. all of us moms have those moments :) **

Tammie said...

heather: my daughter had no interest in using the potty. shes wasnt fully trained until 3 1/2whereas my son was no problem.even still, my daughter wears a diaper to bed and it's soaked most mornings.

chubby hubby is the best!!!