Monday, March 30, 2009

Cheap Bathroom Improvement and the Word of the Day

About a year after buying this house, Jay repainted the master bathroom, our bathroom. It's a beautiful neutral grey with white trim. It looks like it belongs in a Pottery Barn catalog. Well, it would if the renovations hadn't stopped at the paint job. The toilet is ancient, there is no trim around the window, and my shower curtain is almost as old as my daughter.

We always meant to do more to the bathroom, but other projects in other rooms always seemed more important than the tiny bathroom in the back of the house that is only ever used by me, Jay, and the dogs that like to inconveniently sleep in front of the toilet.

Also, I had planned on buying a new shower curtain.....I just never got around to it. And now that we're not using credit cards, I would have to pay for it with my already small amount of fun money. Who wants to buy a shower curtain with their fun money? Fun money is for books, and wine, and expensive cheese stuffed olives.

I was trying to think of ways to spruce up the bathroom without spending much money. There is no way I could make a shower curtain in a manner that would be cost effective, so I've decided to make some curtains for the small window in the bathroom. Right now there are cheap plastic white mini blinds hanging there. Well, they would be white if they weren't covered by a thick layer of dust. (Again, it's kind of hard to get motivated to clean a bathroom that is only ever seen by me, Jay, and the dogs that inconveniently sleep in front of the toilet.)

Here's the fabric for the curtains:I chose this even though there isn't any grey to be seen in it. I like the white background and the olive and aqua together. I think it will give me more options if/when I do decide to buy a new shower curtain. Plus, it was bought from a former handbag maker who is in the process of selling off her entire fabric stash, so I got a good deal. (I almost hate to direct you to her etsy shop, because I would love to keep her as my own personal fabric hook up, but here she is.)

I've started cutting the fabric and hopefully the curtains will be done sometime within the next week or so. Of course I've probably just totally jinxed the whole project by mentioning it here. I'll likely end up spilling coffee on it or something similarly stupid yet totally possible.
***********************************************************************
In other news:

The word of the day is Tricycle.


(Thanks to Melissa S. for bringing this to my attention. Melissa, Not sure if this is what you were referring to, but it's the only one I could find.)

15 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I love that fabric! I think you should make a fabric shower curtain, too. You could hang a cheap plastic one behind it.

Tammie said...

i seriously considered it.

maybe if i could find the right fabric for the right price.

Betts said...

That fabric is great. You really have an eye for picking out great fabric. BTW, is it a shower stall or a tub/shower? If it was a stall, I have a nice hotel fabric liner I would send you for free. I bought it by accident years ago and it was too far away to return it.

Simbelmyne said...

you mean bathroom improvements don't have to cost 10 grand, weeks of your life, and constant uncertainty? (some day I will have a sink, I tell you)

I solved the shower curtain problem by forgoing the color choice entirely. We shower behind a clear liner. Damned nudist hippies!

Tammie said...

betts: thank you. and damnit its a tub so that wouldnt work for me. thanks for offering though---you're the best.

simbelmyne: ha ha ha..no, they dont have to cost that much...but what youre doing is amazing. and frankly, if the rest of the improvements on my house hadnt already cost me more than 10 grand, i might consider it. at this stage though, im tired of parting with money....and running out of it to part with.

melissa s. said...

LOL, yes that's the episode. It would've been ever so slightly better if he'd pedaled, but I still love him for riding a tricycle on sesame street!

Layrayski said...

good luck on your project!

and love the pic of your daughter on the tricycle.

hester said...

That's going to be a very funky curtain for your window. My method of updating shower curtains is buy the least ugly but cheapest one I can find and then cut the bottom off when it gets mildewed. When the curtain is too short to function....throw in bin and buy another one.

Tammie said...

lyra: thanks! :) how have you been? i haven't heard much from you lately.

melissa: I KNOW! i thought the same thing, he really should have pedaled.

hester: you are brilliant! honestly, i just laughed out loud. and it takes a lot to make me laugh this early in the morning!!

kraftykash said...

As I was watching Alec, I was picturing you having an interactive conversation with him and riding off on the back of his trike! TOO funny! The fabric looks great. I know what you mean about dusty blinds...mine are ALL positioned a certain way as to not see the dust build up.

kraftykash said...

OHHH love the new picture of you!!

Mari said...

Maybe you could get a big Alec Baldwin shower curtain. We could make one. With or without trike. I'm just sayin'...

Tammie said...

kashoan:you are too funny.
thanks about the picture. im iffy about it though---i dont like pictures of myself.

mari: you...are a genius.

Maria Rose said...

The fabric is great I am excited to see the finished curtains!

Karen said...

We use cheapo dorm-style white polyester shower curtains. Could not be uglier BUT THEY CAN BE BLEACHED. I'm looking forward to seeing what you wind up doing.