Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Short Update On Books

As you may remember, I set a goal to read thirty-five books this year, that number being knocked down from last years fifty. Although I reached fifty, I wanted to spend more time enjoying the books I read, and not just plowing through them to meet the goal. At this point, I've read eleven books already and I'm well on my way to reaching my goal.

Admittedly though, my book choices so far have not been brain stretchers. It's been hectic here--Jay's worked weird hours, my mom's had some personal stuff she's been dealing with, the kids have been, well...kids. In general, life has just seemed a bit harder lately. So when I have the time to read I've wanted something mindless. (Foxtrot anthologies anyone?)

In my defense, I intended to read real literature. A few weeks ago my best friend Dawn and I decided that we should read some classics together. (As "together" as two people 300 miles apart can be.) Our first (and probably last) choice was Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Neither of us has read it and we figured since Bella in Twilight is always going on about it, it must be great. I got about 15 pages in before I gave up. Sadly, I just didn't get it. And I was tired of looking up words in the dictionary. I'm still not sure what a penetralium is. And the words I did know, were used in a context other than what I was used to. For instance, ejaculation. As in, ".....his pious ejaculation had no reference to my unexpected advent." What? When I mentioned this to Dawn she said, "Yeah, there does seem to be an awful lot of ejaculating for such a boring book." So my copy of Wuthering Heights sits on my nightstand waiting to be returned to the library while I deal with the realization that I'm dumber than Bella.

Right now I'm reading Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips, which is about Greek gods living in modern day London. So far I'm enjoying it. Plus, I'm reading Midnight Sun, which is part of the Twilight saga. Specifically, it is Twilight, just from Edward's point of view. But it's only available through Stephenie Meyer's website and I have a hard time reading anything on the internet that is longer than blog length so it's taking me a while to get through.

Next up, I'll be reading Coraline. I'm incredibly anxious to read this since I've never read any of Neil Gaiman's books and I've heard great things about this one. Honestly, I would have started it already but I'm waiting for my son to finish what he's reading so we can read it together. I hope he enjoys it.

So there you have it--a little update on what I've been reading lately. As usual, you can always follow along with what I'm reading this year by clicking over to Goodreads. Just be warned there is nothing very scholarly on my list at the moment.

10 comments:

kraftykash said...

I got the big idea from you t oset a goal of reading books. :) Well guess what...you are beating me by a long shot! My hubby says "Maybe you should pick out some shorter books". hahahaha Is Coraline like the movie that is out right now??

Nowheymama said...

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! Go here:
http://hipwritermama.blogspot.com/2009/02/read-neil-gaimans-coraline-right-here.html

Hipwritermama found a link where you can read all of Coraline online for free. Hurry!

Mari said...

I really liked Gods Behaving Badly, very entertaining! I am going to try to take the kids to see Coraline soon. Do your kids want to see it?

Bridge said...

I am laughing my butt off right now. I love you Tammie and all your reading adventures. For a quick read try "Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea."

Tammie said...

kash: yep, thats coraline like the movie.
and i agree with your husband, pick some shorter books! all the ones in the twilight series are killers with their 500+ pages. anyways, the year is still young---i think you can do it.

nowhey: if only i had seen that BEFORE buying the book. oh well, it only cost me $6.99. thanks anyway though.

mari: the boy wants to see it but i think it may be too scary for the girl. plus i refuse to take her to the movie theatre because she cant shut up.

bridge: glad you got a chuckle. i've actually been eyeing that book for a few months now. its definitely on my "list." oh and i love you too ;)

Betts said...

I have a hard time giving up on a book. I slogged through "The English Patient" one painful page at a time hoping to find answers to questions that the movie left. I think I could put "Wuthering Heights" down without guilt. Lately, it seems like all I'm reading is People, Star and Real Simple magazines.

Miss D. said...

Ooh, you'll love Coraline. It was my first Gaiman and still my favorite (although I did completely love American Gods).

And, although I did love Wuthering Heights, I wished there was a bit more ghosting and a bit more, er, ejaculating for all the windy highlands and fancy language.

Tammie said...

betts: yeah,i have a hard time giving up on a book too, especially one considered a classic, but i just couldnt do this one. and frankly, there is nothing more relaxing than reading a copy of Star magazine.

miss d: your love of neil gaiman is what prompted me to want to read coraline in the first place. (and i was just looking at American Gods online the other day!)
i really wished i had gotten more out of wuthering heights, but i really had no clue what was going on. i know some people read it in high school and maybe had i read it in a classroom setting, i would have gotten more out or it.

Tania said...

OMG... Books :D
But yeah.. classics are a bit of a bummer i think :x
Right now I'm reading "Shadow of The Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and after 2 more waiting 'cause honestly.. with no interent or cable at home, my brain would die without books...

Tammie said...

tania: yeah i imagine you are heavily utilizing your library right now. i cant wait for you to be back full time though ;)