Thursday, January 29, 2009

Weekly Update

I've been somewhat absent from these parts lately. I have a good reason though. Jay is off from work all week and on Monday we began the long and difficult process of re-doing the walls in our room. This is something we've needed to do for a while and just kept putting it off. Our bedroom walls had some type of odd texture on them and the substance formed sharp little juts and peaks all over the wall. If that wasn't bad enough, it was shiny. There is no description I could give that could truly describe the ugliness so here is an up close shot of the 'before' wall:The small grey mound in the center is cat hair that collects on the peaks. The walls are impossible to clean except with a broom or a vacuum cleaner attachment. They pretty much destroy any cleaning rag I've tried to use. Not to mention the fact that if your hand slips, you're likely to get bloody knuckles.

So Monday we started sanding. I began to cry and gave up fifteen minutes into the project. I have no problem with manual labor but this was just awful. It was so much work for so little outcome. So much dust and soreness just to have normal fucking walls that everyone else takes for granted. I had no desire to go on. If it hadn't been for Jay being so willing to do the sanding on his own, we would have just moved all the furniture back in place and continued living with the sharp walls of death.
Jay sanded the walls for two straight days and yesterday we began the painting process. The main color is finished and now we just have to do the trim. I had hoped we'd get to that today but it's rainy and humid and I just don't think painting is possible, not if we want it to dry anytime soon. I'll post pictures when it's complete.

This project is one that Jay and I agreed we could use the credit cards for. I've been so good about not using credit that I felt a little sad using my Home Depot card, but this was something that needed to get done. Not only did the walls look awful, but all the dust and pet hair that collected on them was not good for my allergies. In the end though, Jay and I stuck to a plan and used the credit judiciously. We didn't get the ceiling fan we want because, although it would look nice in our newly painted room, it's not necessary right now. It can wait. We haven't even purchased all the baseboards yet because I'm not sure if I really want to charge another $50 or if we should just wait. How long can I live without baseboards? Hmmm....I'll let you know when I find out. And I sure as hell didn't fall prey to the snacks at the checkout counter. I charged no Skittles for the girl or beef jerky for the man. It wasn't necessary.

In other news:

*I'm halfway through Breaking Dawn, the fourth book in the Twilight series. Um, you could say I have some opinions about it. But, I'll save that until I've finished the book.

*My household has been fighting a head cold/sore throat thing for about three weeks now. My mom and Jay are the only ones who didn't get it too bad and I think at this point they are about to go halfsies on a hotel room to get away from all the moaning, groaning, and coughing.

*Last weekend we took the boy to see Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Was it the best movie I've ever watched? Of course not. But the boy liked it and as far as family friendly movies go, this one wasn't that bad. The bad guys in the movie were amazing gymnasts and Jay said it reminded him of parkour. I hope I'm not the only one that had never heard the term. Apparently, it involves a lot of running, jumping off buildings, and back flips. The boy and I have been mesmerized by it.

20 comments:

Mari said...

Wow, that is a big job, but it will be so worth every penny.
I need to paint too, but financially speaking, not the right time.
The boys on the video are fun to watch, but I bet they're gonna want their knees back by the time they're 40!

Maria Rose said...

What sort of weird-o makes sharp walls???? That's even worse than ceiling popcorn.

Nowheymama said...

I've seen textured ceilings but never walls. Ugh.

kraftykash said...

My kids want to see that movie too! Im so so sorry about the walls. My neighbors are renovating an older house, and Im always saying to myself I couldnt handle that. It will be so worth it when you are done!! Cant wait to see the new color. BTW...you have passed me in the book, cant wait to hear what you think.

Carla said...

I almost gave up many, many times with out house project but my hubby spurred me on. You'll be so happy when it's done - can't wait to see pictures!

Aleta said...

I'd want to cry too. I'm wondering what caused the walls to get that way? I've never seen anything like that picture before!

Greg's house used to have wallpaper in the kitchen. We took it down and the wall was in horrible condition. We had to texture the wall, sand it, repaint. It was an ordeal, so I feel for you!

Tammie said...

mari: i understand mari..there is a lot we want to do but financially it just isn't going to happen soon.

maria rose: i know!! who would have thought?!?

nowhey: "ugh" is the right word.

krafty: it's a harmless movie. you guys should see it. kevin james is fun.

carla: i was thinking about you and your house ordeal while it was happening.

aleta: i have no idea what caused the walls to be like that. our real estate agent says it something you can buy(or could buy) to actually make it like that...i cannot imagine what would possess someone to choose such a look.

Betts said...

Those walls were just butt ugly. I can't imagine having walls that collect pet hair. Carpets are bad enough. It's definitely a credit-card-worthy project. I can't wait to see the final product.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Those walls sound awful, glad you got them fixed.
Spiderman is a beef jerky freak too!

Bridge said...

that sounds like an awful job! I cannot imagine the satisfaction getting that finished. Trust me, if your anything like us you can go without baseboards a long long time (at least until you put your house on the market).
Your going to totally read 50 books again this year sister! I can tell.

Shalet said...

Congratulations on your wall re-do! I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!

hester said...

Well done getting rid of the ugly walls and your husband sounds like a treasure. What are baseboards, though?

Tammie said...

betts: butt ugly is the best way to describe these walls!

bridge: yeah, i have a feeling the baseboards are going to wait a while.
and i know! i've had an active january when it comes to reading, i hope i can maintain the pace.

shalet: thanks, i can't wait until it's all complete.

hester: yeah, my hubby's a good guy.
baseboards must be called something else in Australia. it's just the trim along the bottom of the wall where the wall meets the floor.

CT said...

uhg! those walls must have been terrible to live with! I have wall trouble too, but I can't do much because the neighboring store has a leak that ruins the wall that's adjacent to it... and guess where it is?
In. MY. craft. room.

I wanted to seal the wall again and paint it over, but we have done it and it is no use! and since the buildings are protected (our house and the store are the remainding "historical" downtown buildings that are not government offices so we cannot tear walls down!)... sigh...

I feel your pain in having had such walls! I am glad you were able to do something about it! me, I'll NEVER move that file cabinet from that spot!

Daphne said...

Walls of Death! Oh no! Sounds like you conquered them.

I have a post about Breaking Dawn that you can read when you're done... can't wait to see what think. Yeah. It's, uh, thought-provoking.

Tammie said...

daphne: im trying to stay away from your post until I finish the book but its hard....my husband already went over to your page and hunted it down and keeps trying to tell me things. very frustrating.

hester said...

Hey Tammie...probably no-one in the entire United States of America needs to know this, but I feel compelled to share it anyway. We call baseboards "skirting boards" in Australia. Sounds kind of weird, now that I think about it.

Tammie said...

hester: that's interesting. i had actually been thinking about it the past few days, wondering what they are referred to over there.

ct: that sounds horrible!! but yeah, we've always had a few pieces of well-placed furniture to conceal ugly parts of the house too. i feel your pain.

heather said...

those bouncing boys are crazy! but seriously talented!! but as a yoga teacher i was thinking what mari said... "their knees!" :) oh to be young.

can't wait to see pics of your room and am so glad the sharp walls are gone. not really the vibe you want for what is supposed to be the most relaxing rrom in the house. :)

Tammie said...

oh heather, the vibe in that room was not good, believe me. it was very hard to relax and *ahem* do bedroom things.

so nice to have you here by the way.

:)