Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weekly Update

There isn't much to update you on this week. My house has been filled with illness. Nothing life threatening, just lots of runny noses, body aches, and hour after hour of Spongebob. In between picking up the little one's used tissues and spraying Lysol on every possible surface, I managed to do a couple of crafty things.

I made this dress for the girl:
I didn't use a pattern, I just based it on a couple of the dresses she already owns. Honestly, I'm amazed it came out as good as it did. I'm not totally crazy about the fabric, but it was a Freecycle find so I made do. Next time I'll probably choose something more girlie. (As a side note, I highly recommend Freecycle and thrift stores for fabric for beginners. It may not always be the prettiest stuff, but it's so much easier to experiment with fabrics I paid nothing for. I'm quite positive I wouldn't have even attempted this dress if I was cutting into fabric that was $10 a yard.)

I think I've turned a corner in my sewing and I'm starting to understand more about garment construction and how all the different pieces go together to form an article of clothing.
Of course, I haven't even attempted to make something with zippers or buttons yet. (And let's not even mention patterns.)
But I'm excited that the basics are coming a lot easier. This dress was made in just a few (uninterrupted)hours.
The boy doesn't understand why I can't make clothes for him. He wants a shirt. He said, "It can't be that hard. Get some fabric and cut two holes for the arms and then a head hole." Oh, well okay. Why didn't I think of that sooner? For now he'll have to be happy with new pillowcases.

A few weeks ago Jay and I found a great wood chair along the side of the road. The seat cover was in pretty bad shape but I had to have it because the wood is in perfect condition and I sorta have a thing for wood chairs. So we brought it home and two weeks later it has a new cover:
I love being able to give new life to old things.

With that, I'll have to bring this Update to a close. The boy wants to play Sorry! and before I can do that I must wash the Vicks vapor rub off my hands.

7 comments:

Betts said...

Oooo, I LOVE the chair cover. I have 8 that need to be re-done. When can you come over?

I've done a lot of sewing and can't get the hang of garments other than a simple jumper. I much prefer home dec (curtains and pillows) and fashion accessories, and I love getting fabric at thrift stores. Another great way to get cheap fabric for experimentation is remnants. Works great for small projects needing less than 2 yards.

Carla said...

I too love the chair! I wish I could come across a find like that.

hester said...

Beautiful chair. Very classy stripes! And beautiful dress too.

PS I bought "Twilight" today with a gift voucher.

Tammie said...

betts: thanks so much. i love re-doing chairs. its such an easy transformation in such a short while.
btw, im definitely going to remember the remnants thing...that wasn't something i thought of. good advice.

carla: thanks. i only wish the previous owner had thrown out three or four more. ;)

hester: thank you, and i hope you love Twilight.

Bridge said...

I have been DYING to put new covers on my chairs. Thanks for the inspiration, they are pretty.

Nowheymama said...

Tell me more about how you did the chair. I'd love to redo our (hand-me-down) dining room chairs.

Tammie said...

it is so easy. if you flip over your chair, in most cases the seat part will be screwed to the base. unscrew it so that you're just working with the seat part. take off old fabric/upholstery. you may also want to replace the padding inside, but i don't always have to do this--a lot of times it's still firm and intact. then just re-cover with new fabric, and staple to the underside of the seat part. i use one of those giant handheld staple guns, because its quick and easy, but i've also known people to nail the fabric onto the underside with teeny tiny nails. either way works.

hopefully that's helpful.
:)