Friday, January 2, 2009

Weekly Update

Well, I've already broken a resolution, the one about saying Yes to the kids more. This is damn hard people. My kids are home a lot! Don't get me wrong, I have been reading more stories and playing more board games. But really, how much is one person expected to take before losing it? I guess the silver lining is that at least now I'm aware of how much I do say no and that I should try to prioritize better when they ask for my time. There are times when I'm actually busy and I shouldn't feel guilty about not stopping what I'm doing to entertain the children. But I also know that I am a huge time waster and often I find diversions to keep me from doing stuff that I don't want to do.

To illustrate, here are some examples of things I do that DO fall into the category of being busy:

*Paying bills
*Washing the dog(s)
*Laundry (Honestly, there are six people living in this house. If I don't do laundry on a regular basis, things get out of control real fast.)

Now here are some examples of things that I might do that DO NOT fall into the category of being busy:

*Playing Chuzzle
*Watching an interview with Alec Baldwin. One that I've already seen. Three times.
*Hiding out in the bathroom with a People magazine and a beer.

I think the resolution to say Yes to the kids more is one that I'm going to have to work on all year. Maybe by December I will have perfected it.

I've also been trying to do as Mari suggested and smile at the kids when they walk into the room. This is incredibly difficult. I've managed to do this not even once. Smiling just doesn't come naturally to me. I'm more of a scowler or a grimacer. Smiling is exhausting. I'm working on this though. Baby steps.

Just to prove I'm not a total asshole who can't have fun and enjoy life, here are a few things that brought me joy this past week:

*My son sweeping the driveway without being asked. He didn't leave a single leaf behind.I'm not sure why he did this without being asked, but I'm trying to not think about it. I'll just enjoy my nicely swept driveway.

*Our awesome neighbors bringing over some awesome food. I've been sopping up homemade barbecue sauce with various random foods all day long. (Thanks again Dennis and Veronica!)

*The realization that my husband will run any dreadful errand for me. Yesterday he went to Joann's and bought me sewing machine needles. He can be trusted to go to the store with a list of 30 items and come home with everything on the list. Once, shortly after the girl was born, he went to six different Walgreens looking for a specific baby item. Also, he has no problem buying sensitive lady items for me. He's cool like that.

*This package from my best friend Dawn.Filled with books. Including Twilight. I've already read almost 100 pages and I got it just this afternoon. I admit, it's a gripping tale. Don't expect a lot from me for the next few days.

9 comments:

Daphne said...

Looks like a great pile of books. Enjoy! And I don't believe in smiling at people either. Except I do. And then I want to kick myself.

Tammie said...

daphne: i know that feeling.

Maria Rose said...

I am always weirded out when men are afraid to buy lady products. Do they think people will assume they are buying tampons for themselves??? My hubby is good with that kind of thing too.

PS I like the new profile photo you have up!

Mari said...

Cute photo! I think that hiding out in the bathroom with a People and a beer should be a required daily activity for all moms...
I know the smiling thing is hard, I am part troll so it doesn't come naturally. But I do think it makes a difference when they are young. I grew up with the whole children are invisible thing, my husband didn't and that family is way over confident, let me tell you! HA!
Can't wait to hear what you think of all the books after you finish...

Mari said...

...also, cute glasses & pup!

Tammie said...

maria rose: thank you.

mari: i know what you mean. there were times my father was less than interested in me and it definitely did a number on my self esteem.

and thank you. there are few pictures of me that i like....i dont enjoy my looks in the least. but yes, my pup is cute :)

Layrayski said...

Happy new year, tammie! I was just going to check on you when I received your msg. =) Sorry I haven't been visible lately. Not in the mood. I guess. That has been the worst christmas and new year I've ever had. Family problems. Sigh.

Anyway, I get you about the smiling thing. This is why I chose careers that are people oriented. So that I can learn how to interact with people. =)

Heather said...

I'm so glad I don't have to be a "closet smiling-hating person" or whatever anymore. I'm more the pensive-thinker expression which always comes off as mad or stuck up, so I know how you feel. Always hated smiling at people in the halls at work that would never smile back. I always wondered what the hell they must of thought of me as they walked away. "was she up to something?" What do they think?
My husband had to go to Walmart this week for nothing but bulk toilet paper and Pepto. How bad do you think that looked? (yes, we had a rough week around here) He actually went to two stores to avoid buying those items together. What a freak. You enjoy those books! my whole family was engulfed, I stayed away because I know I don't have that kind of time, we'll see you again in a long while : )

Shalet said...

Baby steps, baby steps. :o) Enjoy your reading!