Sunday, January 18, 2009

Recycling

About a year ago I was in a consignment shop when I came across a dress I knew I had to have. It had a small floral print, an A-line skirt, and a low cut top. But not so low cut that I would feel exposed. Oh and it was machine washable--a requirement around here. It looked to be about my size so instead of trying it on, I just brought it home.

When I got home I tried it on and it fit. Mostly. It was a tad short for my taste. Not scandalously short, but too short for me. This dress wouldn't be good for trips to the park. It wouldn't be good for hoisting a kid into the seat of a grocery store shopping cart. It certainly wouldn't be good for sitting in front of shelves of books at the library. So basically, it wasn't good for my life.

I wore the dress around the house a few times but mostly it hung in the closet looking sad. I tried to sell it a garage sale but no one wanted it. I really didn't want to take the dress to Goodwill. I took a few deep breaths...and sliced in.

Two hours later I had made a skirt for the girl:And I had re-worked the top of the dress into a shirt for myself:For my shirt I hemmed a band of fabric and sewed it to the bottom of the top of the dress. There was some trial and error in the making of the band. Initially I had made it too wide and it clung to my hips in a very unflattering manner. But after a bit more cutting and sewing, I was finally able to get it to a width I was happy with.

I chose a non matching pattern to give it a funky look, but the weight and feel of the fabric is the same as that of the dress, so even though technically it doesn't match, it still "goes."
Considering I'm not buying any new clothes or using my credit cards this year, this was a cheap and (fairly) easy way to get a *new* top.

11 comments:

Betts said...

I've been hearing stuff on tv about looking your own closet for clothes to "make new". I've done a few things: make a long-sleeved shirt, short sleeved, and turned one of those hideous romper-short things from the early 90s into a top. When I was a kid, my mom would sew coordinating fabric on the bottoms of my pants to make them longer.

Love the top. It's very boho chic.

Daphne said...

Adorable! Very good job! Love it.

melissa s. said...

SO cute! Now I must run to my closet to see if I have any items that might need reworking!

Nowheymama said...

Cute shirt!!

Tammie said...

thank you so much for all your kind words...i half expected to be ridiculed.

:)

Heather said...

Cute and smart- great combo! good job sticking to your plan by the way... day 18 and I haven't used mine yet either! I think they say if you can make it to day 21 you can get over the addiction "hump". Had to turn down a girls night out for dinner tomorrow because it's not quite payday, but I'm not using that credit card!

Carla said...

Oh to have the time and desire to use a sewing machine! Cute results!

Maria Rose said...

Oh that's a great idea. I hate wearing too short of dresses, mostly because I sit like a man and I can't be bothered with things like leg crossing and the knee bend to pick something off the ground. I may have to do this with a few too short numbers I have in my closet.

Tammie said...

heather: i know, it certainly isnt fun. i just keep telling myself id much rather have more financial security and less debt, than whatever it is i'm tempted to charge.

maria rose: im not good at the bending at the knee thing either.

Mari said...

Those are so cute! Love them.

hester said...

I love your top. Can you make me one? (Only joking)