Thursday, January 8, 2009

Beyond Skirts

For me, last year will definitely be thought of as the year of the skirt. After learning the basic ins and outs of my sewing machine, I proceeded to make these skirts for my daughter in large quantities.See the pink one on top? That would be the most recent one, her First Day of Pre School skirt.Although I love making these, it was time to add something else to my repertoire.

I had been eyeing this tutorial, oh for about a year now before I finally got the nerve to cut into the fabric and create a smock for the girl. A little more than twenty four hours later I have the finished product: I chose the black and white checked fabric for a few reasons.

*I had a lot of it.

*Having come from Freecycle, it cost me nothing. So if I were to destroy it, I wouldn't be too upset. (I'm sure we all remember the pants disaster. Ahem.)

*All those straight lines make for some easy sewing.

*The fabric itself is virtually identical on both sides so as I was putting it together I didn't have to worry about "right sides" and "wrong sides."

As forgiving as the fabric is, I still managed to make a few tiny mistakes but nothing major. And certainly nothing obvious to the eyes of a four year old who is always so oblivious to mom's flubs and fuck ups.Whenever I read a pattern or a tutorial, I spend at least six months staring at it thinking, I can't do this. Who am I kidding? Then I get ballsy enough to cut into the fabric. I sew. I piece it together, still so unsure of myself. And then, about three-fourths of the way through there is a moment of clarity and it all comes together. It is such a good feeling. That's about the time I stop and think, You learn something new everyday. And today, right now, this is my something. I love that moment.

13 comments:

kraftykash said...

I think it turned out great! Your daughter is too cute. Im always that way with fabric. It never fails I always cut crooked! I blame it on being left handed :)

Mari said...

It looks really great, and she looks thrilled! Good job, mom! I never tried anything that complicated, so I am impressed.

Heather said...

you're really inspiring me to try to sew something that actually involves a pattern. good for you! very cute by the way (I can see now why my grandmother constantly sewed for me, it looks like a whole lot of girly fun!

Nowheymama said...

Good job, Mama!

Maria Rose said...

Wow, I think it is adorable. I am definitely on board with striped fabric!

Daphne said...

That is great! I am a half-hearted seamstress. I like sewing but have no patience for it. So you are totally awesome.

melissa s. said...

it looks great! go you, you fearless pattern sewer, you!!

Carla said...

Looks good! I hate sewing but I admire those who do it.

Tammie said...

thank you so much everybody. i really appreciate your enthusiasm about my sewing projects. it helps.

hester said...

I'm impressed too. The last time I sewed a skirt was in Grade 8 at high school. Your girl is lucky to have a creative mother.

Becky..AMHW said...

Woot SEWING!

I don't sew much for my boys. Not when you can buy Tshirts and jeans for so little. They don't give a crap if a shirt is cute or different.

I need to sew more for me.

Tammie said...

becky: yes, my son wants me to sew for him more but i havent gotten that good yet, and financially i dont know if its worth it. he's had to settle for new pillowcases.

im still scared to sew for myself yet.

hester: thank you so much. :)

Layrayski said...

So proud of you! *Smiling*