Monday, December 22, 2008

Weekly Update

See, all of December there is no Update, now I post two in one week. I really need to get my act together.

Beginning in the new year, January fifth to be exact, the girl will be starting preschool.
This was not an easy decision for me. I feel a bit like a quitter, but I think it's really what's best for right now. Our mutual meltdowns are happening with more frequency and it breaks my heart that the majority of time we are together is spent with me yelling at her.

She will only be going two days a week but I think that's the perfect amount of time to give us both a little break from each other and expose her to new things. For her part, she's thrilled. She's been wanting to go to "school" for a long time and she already picked out her lunchbox. Plus, my mom will be her teacher so that of course is a huge plus. The fact that my mom is a preschool teacher definitely lessens that feeling that I'm throwing my child to the wolves.

Sunday the kids and I attempted to make cake balls. The recipe can be found over at Bread & Honey. Pop over there, scroll down to the end of the post so you can see what they are supposed to look like, then come back and look at mine.
Yeah, totally not looking the same. We mastered the cake and ball part but had some trouble with the rolling them in the chocolate part. I had a real difficult time keeping my chocolate from hardening in the pan and by the end the chocolate was in crumbles. (Any suggestions as to the proper way to do this would be appreciated....)

Even though they are on the ugly side, they still taste pretty good and the kids loved destroying the cake and making balls.

Of course, the entire time the boy was saying things such as Look at my balls, My balls are so perfectly round, etc. Disgusting yes, but I have to take some of the blame for this considering I'm the one that allows him to watch this Saturday Night Live clip:



Secretly, I'm quite proud.

14 comments:

BloomingAlmond said...

Oh gosh... Preschool :)
Hope you all have a great xmas and new year!
And boys will always be boys...
I can't wait to hear my son talk about stupid things he saw on tv...

Oh gosh how i miss reading you :)

Hope you're ok my dear friend * * *

Maria Rose said...

We are always quoting that skit this time of year!

Tammie said...

tania: so good to hear from you!

maria rose: im glad my family arent the only ones quoting it.

Bridge said...

LOVE THIS CLIP>>>>>>

melissa s. said...

LOL, i totally forgot about the 'schwetty balls' snl clip!!! good times :-)
and, if i squint just right, your balls do look like the bread & honey ones (don't let your son quote me on that)!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

At least you attempted! Usually the things that look the worst, taste the best.

hester said...

I've never heard of cake balls but I'll eat anything that is coated in chocolate. This must have made one hell of a mess in your kitchen though. You're a braver woman than me, Tammie.

PS Merry Christmas!

Bridge said...

Yes, school can be a beautiful break for children and parents alike.

enjoy. she certainly will.

Tammie said...

hester: honestly i dont think we'll be doing this one again....or if we do, no chocolate outer coating...maybe we'll roll them in chopped nuts or sprinkles. i guess there are a lot of possibilities.

bridge: yeah, im hoping the few hours away a week will help us have more quality time when we are together. right now i feel like im constantly at my wits end.

Mari said...

Hi Tammie,
check out Bakerella, she has tons of cake balls recipes here:
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/12/its-beginning-to-look-lot-like.html

Love the Alec Baldwin clip, haven't seen that in years, he is so brilliant!
You will love preschool, it will be great for both of you. Have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2009! Hope to be back soon with my answers for your last post, sorry it is taking me so long- hey, mr. man came home on sunday and we did have a power outage yesterday!!!

Tammie said...

ooh mari thank you so much for the link...i just popped over there and found some tips that were very, very helpful.

im so glad to hear from you..i was just about to ask if hubby made it home safely.

Layrayski said...

Merry christmas Tammie! And I hope the pre school works well for the both of you. =)

Tilly said...

Hi Tammie, wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy Christmas!

Heather said...

amazing all the great finds I stumble upon when I surf your blog and from your blog! I know you, too, try to eat vegetarian for some meals. I'd cook vegan religiously but my husband would divorce me.
(if anyone can watch this and not turn vegan, you're stronger than me... http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AC7FA2798DC029D2 )
Anyway, from Bread and Honey, I found their vegan recipes and a comment on one of their dishes led me to a Seattle spice shop that has great tofu seasonings. I can't wait to order some. Thanks for the post Tammy! "good times."
http://www.worldspice.com/blends/0411tofuscrambler-thai.shtml