Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Random Thoughts

*I haven't read any of the Twilight books. This didn't bother me until yesterday when my best friend phoned and was telling me all about them. She (ahem) kinda likes the series. I tend to avoid anything surrounded by hype, but now I feel like I'm totally missing out on something. She has promised to send them to me and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the box. It will be nice to have a clue about what the rest of society is talking about. (Also, don't take from this that I'm picking on my friend for loving the books, or that her chatter about them irritates me. It doesn't in the least. And besides, she has more than done her time by listening to me rant and rave for years about various Baldwins. I owe her.)

*Jay and I found this cute little desk on our latest Sunday drive.It was covered in about six coats of paint and the legs were oddly long. Jay sanded it a bit and chopped a few inches off the legs and now it's a perfect sized art desk for the girl. I love all of its imperfections. Plus, I think it fits our house better than the clunky metal table she was using as an art desk.

* I have become slightly addicted to the TLC show What Not to Wear. I've always sorta liked the show, but my mom and I have recently discovered that it appears to be on all day on Saturday and we are finding it hard to do anything else but watch it hour after hour. Laundry goes unwashed and children go hungry while we sit there and get fashion, hair, and makeup tips. My mom and I even have a mental list of people we should nominate to be on the show.

*I haven't turned my sewing machine on in over a week. I really want to get to crafting, yet I'm enjoying hanging out with the kids, playing games and just doing nothing. (And watching hours of What Not to Wear.)

11 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I like the table! I love things with charm like that.

Tammie said...

i thought you might. as i was writing this one i kept thinking back to your post from a few months ago about wabi sabi.

kraftykash said...

I highly recommend the books. Im on the 3rd one, they are good to read! They make me feel young again. hehehehe Love the art table!

Mari said...

Very nice art desk!

Daphne said...

You will love Twilight! Just know that it's a teenage romance. The *ultimate* teenage romance. And then be prepared to be swept away. I loved it, and I don't really love romances.

PS: thanks for your comment. It made my day. If I'd had a hairspray can, it would have been slammed into the wall for sure.

hester said...

Hi Tammie. Happy New Year! The desk is beautiful - just perfect for a girl to draw/paste etc on. Old things are much lovelier than shiny new ones in my opinion.

Carla said...

I haven't gotten into the Twilight craze either, I'm skeptical. Let me know what you think...

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I felt like you about the Twilight books...but then I caved and read them. :sigh: LOVE them.
I love WNTW, too. I can't explain why, I just do.
Love that table too!

hester said...

Hi again Tammie

I've just been cruising through some of the blogs listed on your profile. Is everyone in the US so good at knitting, baking beautiful cookies etc or are they just the blogs you're reading at the moment? Aussies must be a lazy bunch! I am going to try and make a gluten free carrot cake today, though, to reward my husband who has just taken the children to the zoo to give me a break.

Tammie said...

hester: ha ha ha....no....not at all. in fact, i suck at knitting. i tried making a scarf once and it ended up in a balled up mess under my bed. i may try again in the future, but probably no time soon.

mostly the blogs i read are inspiration..pretty pictures to look at while im relaxing at night with my wine.

let me know how the gluten free cake comes out. ive never baked gluten free before.

i did make a gluten-ful cake today that came out nicely. but i havent vacuumed in four days, i only made my bed twice this week, and there is laundry everywhere. so yeah, don't feel lazy.

:)

hester said...

The gluten free carrot cake turned out ok, probably because I didn't mess with the recipe and resisted the temptation to add the overripe bananas that are in my fruit bowl.

Don't feel bad about your lack of vacuuming for only 4 days. We have run out of the dustbag thingies and the man in the shop keeps saying "We'll have more Miele ones on Wednesday". He said that LAST Wednesday!!