Monday, December 1, 2008

Monday Morning Ramblings

It's quiet around here. Everyone is back to work and school, and I've started in on the list of things I want to get done today. Number one on the list: Stop Eating. Really. The amount of food I've managed to ingest since Thursday is just shameful and embarrassing. I'm sitting here at the moment sipping herbal tea, trying to ease my stomach back into the habit of not eating enough to feed a small nation.

Something I've been meaning to share with all of you, my wonderful bloggy friends, is the state of my kitchen. But in order to tell you about it's current state, I have to give you a little background. When we bought our house, my kitchen was an outdated, dank, shit hole. The appliances were old (and not "cool" old, just old), the wall paper was awful, the cabinets were ugly and the counter tops don't match, which is something you may have caught a glimpse of in this picture from the previous post:Anyway, in the last two years, all the appliances have died and been replaced. Slowly, all the wall paper was ripped off.(Really slowly.......it took me a year. To say I wasn't motivated to work on this room of the house would be the understatement of the century.)

Then two weeks ago, Jay and I spent the better part of our Sunday painting the kitchen while listening to the soundtrack to The Sopranos. Now it is the lovely color you see in the above picture of the girl. Presently, we don't have the funds to do the complete kitchen overhaul we fantasize about, but the new color makes the room a bit more bearable and draws your eyes away from the mismatched counter tops.

I've been keeping my eyes open for red accessories to coordinate with the kitchen. I bought these cute salt and pepper shakers off of Etsy for only $3:

And I already owned a napkin holder that matches well:I got this years ago for 25 cents at Goodwill. I don't know what it means but I think it's quirky and fun. So if anyone speaks or reads whatever language that is, please enlighten me.

When we first moved into this house, the amount of work that needed to be done was massive and overwhelming. I couldn't imagine it ever looking like how I visioned. But little by little, and ever so slowly, it's getting there. There is still so much we want to do, but throughout the house are little pockets of pretty and if I go in them, squint my eyes, and use my imagination, I can see it all coming together. Beer helps too.

14 comments:

Layrayski said...

(you kill me)

What a coincidence! our kitchen was such a mess we couldn't even imagine how it can ever look like one. Then three days ago I just started painting, rearranging, and cleaning that its starting to look a teeny weeny bit presentable.

That napkin holder looks so cool. and the fact that the words tickles me adds to its appeal. =)

Maria Rose said...

I love the color choice!
Also, I have eaten way too much as well.

Apron Thrift Girl said...

My kitchen is too very painful to be in. I only take pictures of the good parts which is usually the breakfast nook. I have very ugly counter tops and inside the cabinets is bare plywood. We had Sears come out and price new cabinets and were shocked when they told us $17K. Then we laughed all our way to showing them out the door. And that was for cheap, crappy cabinets. We decided to live without kitchen and make the most of it with new paint on the walls too.

Bridge said...

kindred spirit here. we are remodeling step by step whenever we make more than out budget requires. this is the 2nd house we have done this with and judging from the results of my last house, I can say its worth it!!!!!

Mari said...

ok, I loved the expression: dank shithole! Dank is going to be my new word. Like, a bad food experience where my husband asks, how is that special new wendy's burger?
my answer?
Dank.

I kind of miss having my crappy old kitchen, where I could throw down a coat of paint on my cupboards and voila, the kitchen matched my hormones! I was way creative in that kitchen!

It was...
dank. That has got to be a medieval word. Must check the etymology... I'll get back to you.

Mari said...

Alright, you have to check this out. Seriously, I had no idea!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dank

kraftykash said...

Im with you...too much food! What is that about?? Your blog always makes me laugh! Thanks for that.

Tammie said...

lyra: that is a coincidence. we were both in kitchen hell at the same time.

maria rose: thank you. it's Behr Sweet Rhapsody. It's a favorite in the blog world--I'm a bit of a copycat.

selena: i never would have known your kitchen was ugly...all your pics are always so nice.
yeah, new cabinets are pretty far down low on our list of things to do too.

bridge: i don't think i'll ever do it again. my next home is going to be a 400 square foot apartment.

mari: i had no idea dank had another meaning!! totally makes me look at my kitchen in a new way. HA

krafty: i don't even want to look at food right now.
glad i can make you smile a bit.
:)

Nowheymama said...

We haven't done anything to our kitchen yet, even though I HATE it. Maybe the new oven will inspire me to buy a can of paint.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I'm all about old stuff, but my kitchen is the not-cool kind of old, too. It needs help in a major way.
You and I need to go thrift store shopping together. I found the most freaking adorable purse today, I'm still grinning over it.

Tammie said...

It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one with an ugly kitchen.

Is it possible that bloggers spend so much time blogging, so as to avoid their kitchens?....hmmm

cyndy: we totally need to go thrifting!!!

hester said...

Hi Tammie
I think your kitchen looks pretty good. At least it is large enough to swing a cat in! (Unlike mine which is miniscule)

Shalet said...

I love the new color of your crap shack kitchen and the new pantry curtain is awesome! So much better to start from crap and watch it turn nice than the other way around!

Tammie said...

Shalet: I never really thought about it that way, but that makes sense. It's such a long process though and sometimes i just want it all to be done. Patience is not my strong suit.