Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fifty Books

This year I set a goal to read fifty books. I had a few simple rules:

*The list cannot include children's books that I read to the kids.

*No cook/home decorating/design/sewing books unless I truly felt as if I had read them from cover to cover.

*Easy to read graphic novels can be included but the list shouldn't be largely comprised of them.

Pretty vague rules, huh? And obviously they rely heavily on my own personal honor system. But the challenge itself was just that...personal. I used to love reading and was constantly immersed in a book or two. Since having kids though, reading hasn't been as easy and I've strayed not only from doing it, but enjoying it. The point of this project was to remind myself of how much I love books, not to stress out about reaching some hard to attain goal. If you've been following along all year, you're aware I met the goal. Now here, in alphabetical order by the authors last name, is a list of the fifty (plus one!) books I read:

1. I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids by Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile
2. Go Green, Live Rich by David Bach
3. A Promise to Ourselves by Alec Baldwin
4. The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank
5. Cruddy by Lynda Barry
6. Dear Zoe by Philip Beard
7. Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
8. Big Baby by Charles Burns
9. Black Hole by Charles Burns
10. The Fruit Cocktail Diaries by Brian Carmody
11. Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
12. Ice Haven by Daniel Clowes
13. Wacky Chicks by Simon Doonan
14. But Enough About Me by Jancee Dunn
15. Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
16. The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
17. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
18. The Traveling Death and Resurrection Show by Ariel Gore
19. Breeder by Ariel Gore
20. The Mother Trip by Ariel Gore
21. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
22. Marley and Me by John Grogan
23. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
24. The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel by Amy Hempel
25. Safety of Objects by A.M. Homes
26. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
27. How to Print with Anything from Potatoes to Linoleum by Lotta Jansdotter
28. No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July
29. Edmund and Rosemary Go To Hell by Bruce Eric Kaplan
30. Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me by Ben Karlin
31. The Squirrel Mother by Megan Kelso
32. She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel
33. The Solace of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmel
34. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
35. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
36. Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowvitz
37. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
38. Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs by Cheryl Peck
39. Awkward and Definition by Ariel Schrag
40. When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
41. The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule
42. Maus by Art Spiegelman
43. Maus II by Art Spiegelman
44. Fruits Basket (Volume One) by Natsuki Takaya
45. Good-Bye Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson
46. Sleepwalk by Adrian Tomine
47. About Alice by Calvin Trillin
48. Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti
49. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
50. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
51. The Easter Parade by Richard Yates

I love that I was able to reach my goal, but I don't think I'm going to set a similar goal for next year. There were times throughout the year that I was reading books so quickly that I felt as if I was missing something, maybe not getting the whole story. Until going over the list just now, I had actually forgotten that I had read some of these books.

I've rekindled my love affair with books this past year, so I do plan on reading quite a bit, writing about the books here, and documenting it at Goodreads. And as always, I would love to hear your book suggestions. I do take them all to heart and they've influenced some of my choices. So please share, what books are on your nightstand right now?

9 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Congratulations! I have a Christmas book and a Philippa Gregory book on my nightstand at the moment.

Aleta said...

I'm impressed with your list! Do you have a top 10 list of those 51 that you've read? My friends got me into the Vampire books with Sookie Stackhouse (main character). Otherwise, Crisis in Space is on my nightstand, but that's because it's a book my grandfather wrote. And the other book is a manuscript I submitted of my poems ~ going to be a release date for the book in 6-8 weeks. (That's taken most of my time bookwise.)

Bridge said...

ROCK ON GIRL!
I have read many of the same books.
Now we are friends on Goodreads, pretty photo of you over there.

kraftykash said...

Ok...what are your top 2 or 3? I have such a hard time finding books at the library. I LOVE to read, but have trouble getting into them. Wicked by Gregory is great! So are the next 2 in the series. The Day of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell was a good one too. I like this goal, Im going to try it in 2009

Mari said...

Good work, that is amazing!
On my nightstand are:

Born Standing Up- Steve Martin
Persepolis-Marjane Satrapi
Persepolis 2-Marjane Satrapi
The Wordy Shipmates-Sarah Vowell
Answered Prayers- Truman Capote

Tammie said...

aleta: i would love to hear more about your book of poems.

bridge: thank you...there aren't many pics of me that i like...thats one of the few.

mari: i LOVE the persepolis books.

Maria Rose said...

I am reading the Tale of Genji. I don't recommend it unless you are into historical books, but it's cool to see what people were writing about way back when.

Bridge said...

I just finished
"A Long Way Gone: a memoir of a boy soldier"

"Mayflower"

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
Angelou

melissa s. said...

congrats on reaching your goal! my that's a diverse list, I see some of my faves on there!