Saturday, November 8, 2008

Weekly Update

A lot of this week was spent watching campaign coverage. Then election coverage. Then post election coverage. Then suddenly it was the weekend. Where did the week go?

Speaking of elections, I have a couple of random thoughts on the subject:

*My son's school held mock presidential elections, all of the fourth and fifth graders could participate. Obama got a hundred and something votes, McCain got 59, and Bob Barr got one. I'm incredibly impressed with that one kid that voted for Bob Barr. I wouldn't know who Bob Barr was if I walked into him.

*If you're a regular or even semi-regular reader, you've probably heard me bitch about the poorly funded Florida schools. Well, my county overwhelmingly voted for a small increase in property taxes, with the money going to (drum roll please...) SCHOOLS! I love that my community approved this. This means my kids will have art and music again and local schools will go back to having full time school nurses. (Yep, my county had cut school nurses!) No one likes tax increases, but it's small. For my family, it will be about another $150 a year($12.50 a month) in property taxes. In my opinion, it's so worth it.

In other news:

I was so motivated by Maria Rose's latest Kindness Bandit effort, that I had to do it myself. I anonymously sent a handmade card with a small, kind message to one of my old addresses, my childhood house in south Florida.I hope this brightens the day of the recipient. I also hope they don't think someone is stalking them.

One of the boy's new favorite things to do is to make god's eyes. It's a fun, easy, almost mindless, yarn craft project that I found here. (Scroll down a bit past the key chains.) I bought some skeins of cheap yarn off of Etsy and in the evening the boy will sit and make these while watching TV. The walls of his room are now decorated with many of these in all colors of the rainbow.

Because of my newly found interest in sewing, I've fallen a bit behind in my reading. I just finished book 49 for the year, No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July. It was a great book of short stories and it shouldn't have taken me as long to read as it did but I've been spending all my spare time sewing or reading blogs about sewing. I've momentarily immersed myself in the subject. As of right now, I have no idea what book fifty will be. I've started reading a book called Every Man For Himself: Ten Short Stories About Being A Guy, but I really only grabbed this because I needed something to read while in the bathroom, and I'm not positive, but I think it might be written for teenage boys. I'm not entirely sure where this book even came from. I'm thinking I don't want this to be book number fifty. I had hoped for book fifty to be something a bit more interesting than trashy teen boy toilet reads.

That will about wrap it up for this update. I've been working on a few sewing projects lately that are nearing completion so hopefully I can share them with you in the coming weeks. Also, as previously alluded to, Jay has a woodworking project that I'm also anxious to share. For now, I'll leave you with this picture of the girl "helping" Jay with his project. And no, Jay's not building a coffin.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Oh my gosh, I turned out god's eyes by the hundreds when I was a kid... after the summer my grandmother tossed me in a christian day-camp. I remember eating popsicles just to get the sticks to make more of them!

Just this summer I heard some politically correct new term for them, but I always think god's eye...LOL

Tammie said...

i wish i knew the politically correct term. the term gods eye sorta gives me the creeps