Monday, November 17, 2008

Room For Squares

(I want to thank all of you for your kind words the past few days. I've just had a "blah" feeling lately. Sort of running on empty, doing a lot, yet none of it well-sort of feeling. I'm working through it.)

Ever since I began sewing a few months ago, I've saved every worthwhile scrap of material from all my projects. When I finished a project, I would open my top desk drawer, and with the side of my hand, scrape all the remnants into it. I did this with the intention of one day in the distant future, making a patchwork blanket for my daughter. Well that day turned out to be not so distant. Within the last week I have been working steadily to finish this:Oh the squares. When I started this I wanted so much for all those squares to be a perfect four inches on all sides and I wanted them to line up perfectly. I wanted everything about it to be square and well, perfect. It didn't happen. When I realized early on that it wasn't going to be "perfect"....I was bummed, but really I think I like it even more this way. I don't think there is any kind of patchwork blanket law that requires perfectly even, lined up squares.

Another goal I had concerning the making of this, was that other than the backing, I wasn't going to buy any new fabric for it. All the squares came from older clothes that I cut into, Freecycyle fabric, or leftover fabric that had been bought for other projects. You can't tell from the pictures, but if you were to look closely at the blanket, you'd notice that every row has a square of the adorable fabric that I massacred in last months pants making attempt.I was able to get a lot of squares from that disaster. The only thing I did spend money on was the cotton chenille back. But I got a really great deal on that from a gal who was closing her Etsy shop and had all her fabrics marked down.

I thought that the making of this would make me crazy and I'd vow never to do it again, but honestly, I loved it. I loved it so much I've already started working on one for a friend who is about to have a baby. And yes, I have enough squares of the china doll fabric for that blanket too.

13 comments:

Layrayski said...

very cute!!!

Sorry for the blah feeling you've been having. I hope it will go away soon, or at least spur you to creativity. =)

(I've been away for a few days and I've had the scheduled posting at full working order, just in case you're wondering where I've been to.)

Nowheymama said...

I still have the quilt my mom made for me when I was little--the very first one she ever made. I love it.

This looks so cozy!

Maria Rose said...

No, I agree that there is really something beautiful about little inconsistencies. Have you every tried a crazy quilt?

Tammie said...

lyra: thanks. and it's nice to have you back...i had been wondering where you had gone to. :)

nowhey: i have some blankets that were made for me as a little girl too. they're items im probably always going to hang on to.

maria rose: thank you...im glad im not the only one that sees it that way.
i had heard of the term crazy quilt a few times in the past few days and was unfamiliar with it so i just google imaged it this moment and it totally seems like something up my alley.

Cassandra said...

Oh, I love quilts, whether the squares match or not! (In fact, I PREFER it that they don't!) I just bought Stitched in Time and one of the projects in it is a "baby clothes" quilt. Instead of saving all those cute dresses, cutting squares out of them and making them into a quilt. Love that idea and love your scrap quilt too!

Cathy said...

We are lucky enough to have a skilled quilter in the family, so I don't have to break down and sew. Ewww.
But my children love and cherish their quilts like nothing else. They go on sleepovers together, they have even come on camping trips with us.

Quilts rock. And that one looks extra fuzzy cuddly. I think you win.

earthmama said...

Can I just tell you, I LOVE IT! I love your thrifty, save everything, reuse it, buying from the etsy folks, freecycle sensibility too! And the cotton chenille...I adore! I love chenille, but I've never worked with it. Is it hard? I could totally see some really cute patchwork market bags in YOUR VERY OWN etsy shop! You have a great eye, you're adventurous & obviously have talent too! You've got all the ingredients sister! I can see your future!!!

earthmama

earthmama said...

And I am remiss in skipping over the first part of your post. So sorry. I got so excited about the quilt!

It sounds like you're doing all the things the books & those who dole advice say to do, huh? You're keeping busy, being creative, writing, doing something satisfying...the tide will turn. I'm sorry about the funk. Life is such an up and down process, at least for me anyway : ) Hang in there. Thinking of you as you work through it.


A Celtic Blessing

May the light of your soul guide you.
May the light of your soul bless the work that you do
with the secret love and warmth of your heart.
May you see in what you do the beauty of your own soul.
May the sacredness of your work bring healing, light
and renewal to those who work with you
and to those who see and receive your work.
May your work never weary you.
May it release within you wellsprings of
refreshment, inspiration and excitement.
May you be present in what you do.
May you never become lost in bland absences.
May the day never burden.
May dawn find you awake and alert,
approaching your new day with dreams, possibilities and promises.
May evening find you gracious and fulfilled.
May you go into the night blessed, sheltered and protected.
May your soul calm, console and renew you.

melissa s. said...

love the blanket and hope the blahs retreat soon!

Tammie said...

cassandra: i've had my eye on stitched in time....it's on my mental list of books i want. thanks for popping over here by the way.

cathy: thank you. and you are so lucky to have a skilled quilter in your family---im jealous.

earthmama: thank you so much. i love your comments, both of them. and i appreciate the blessings..im just feeling pulled in a lot of directions lately.

and thank you so much for all the kind comments about my sewing. being such a beginner and doing it on my own, i really value the input. the approval doesn't hurt either. ;)

as for the chenille, it didn't seem hard at all, but of course i was sewing just straight lines, nothing fancy.

melissa: thanks. im honored to take a compliment from you. your stuff is lovely.

Mari said...

That quilt is so, so beautiful, Tammie! Sorry you've been down... I miss the sunlight, myself! : )

Tammie said...

thanks mari.

:)

Becky..AMHW said...

Perfectly matched up and coordinating quilts are WRONG.