Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Random Thoughts

*The other day I ate a mini Snickers bar dipped in Nutella. Jay insists I have a sugar problem.

*A few weeks ago the CD player in my car went haywire and in the process (and through no fault of my own) my favorite Teddy Thompson cd was scratched beyond repair. If I don't get a new one soon, I may hurt someone.

*Speaking of music in the car, the merger a few months back between XM and Sirius has recently resulted in them consolidating all their channels. Now I can't find any of the channels that I used to listen to and there seems to be an abundance of garbage. There were reasons I was an XM subscriber and not a Sirius subscriber: I don't want an all Elvis channel. I don't want an all Jimmy Buffet channel. Now I have those channels and none of the ones I used to listen to. (Yes, I know in the grand scheme of things this is not a major problem---but it is just one more minor irritation keeping me from having a good day.)

*My quirky son loves the music in the Free Credit Report commercials. I would go so far as to say that the FreeCreditReport.com guys might be his favorite band. He downloads the songs off of You Tube. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can go here and watch a few of them. I apologize in advance.

*I love this picture of my daughter:
Her sense of style and what goes together is at the intersection of color blind and schizophrenic. If by some chance she manages to get her shoes on the right feet, you can bet they aren't going to match.

*There has been a lot of posts related to sewing around here lately. In truth, I never thought I would love sewing as much as I do. I love to sit at my machine and hear the rhythmic whir as I'm creating something. (Plus, the noise is just loud enough to drown out the incessant chatter of my daughter.) Learning to sew is sort of a bittersweet process though that has left me feeling a bit melancholy. You see, all my life I've just assumed I couldn't sew. Mind you, I have no grand delusions that the things I create are impressive to anyone but my friends and family. But I have been able to sew a few things that are useful and serve a purpose, and I've enjoyed doing it. This leads me to wonder if there are other things that I can do, that I always just mistakenly assumed I wasn't capable of doing. I'm feeling like I've wasted a lot of time in my life by allowing the negative talk (in my head and from outer sources) to direct me. Life is too fucking short.

6 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I couldn't agree more. I love to discover new talents (like my ability to make free-hand silhouettes), but I always wonder what else lies undiscovered.

Nowheymama said...

Hee! My kids love those songs, too. Especially the pirate one.

Life is too short. Good for you.

My word verification is "quill."

Mari said...

My husband and I still crack up at some of those songs!

melissa s. said...

amen on the 'life is too short' thing. i get the 'i can't do this/that/the other thing' mantra stuck in my head quite often until i realize that all's i gotta do is get off my ass and learn how to do it. i credit my 4-year-old with that wisdom.
...off to check out this new freecreditreport band i've been hearing about...

Tammie said...

maria rose: ive reached that point in my life where now i just want to try everything. i guess it took me a while.

nowhey: dont you love it when you get a cook word verification?

mari: if i ever get to utah im totally hanging out with you and your hubby.

melissa s: i get that in my head too...it usually takes me a few days to snap out of it.

Layrayski said...

hi tammie! What else do you do with your chocolates? =)

The picture of your baby made me smile. I love her enjoyment about what she was doing. =) very adorable!!! =)

It surprises me too about how many negative thoughts I have running inside my head that when seen through the light is actually very ridiculous. Your post reminds me again of this. Life is too short.