Monday, November 24, 2008

Jay's Wood

As many of you know, and as I've mentioned here before, we live in a house that is in a constant state of remodeling, improving, repairing, and redecorating. (A little less of all that lately since we already owe Home Depot our non-existent life savings.) One of the things that really bothers us about our house is that we have a bathroom sink and a 1980's blue L-shaped counter top in our living room. I guess this was the previous owner's idea of a wet bar. As much as we despised it, we were slow in removing it because we had hopes of (eventually) installing a nice wet bar and we got used to the storage space under the counter. It couldn't just be ripped out without a replacement of some sort.

Every six weeks or so I get the Sundance Catalog in the mail. I've never ordered even one thing from Sundance because it's a wee bit pricey for my budget (ha!), but I love looking at it. A few weeks ago I was thumbing through it and compiling the list of things I would be buying when I become Queen of the World and have unlimited funds, and I immediately pictured this in my house in the place of half the ugly counter:Something like this wouldn't solve the sink situation, but it would certainly take care of the storage problem. But it's priced at $795 plus $300 for shipping. Which is $795 plus $300 more than I could (or would) spend. So I tossed the catalog at Jay and jokingly said, "Hey, make something like this for me won't ya?" And surprisingly, he said yes! I didn't even have to shake my boobs while asking either!

Even though he had never built anything before, Jay drew up some plans, got to work and with a little help from the kids:We soon had this:Can we just discuss how much I love it?! It's a lot bigger than the one in the catalog and didn't cost anywhere near as much. Plus, Jay even thought to build a spot for our mini-fridge. (Please ignore the fact that our mini fridge is UF orange. I choose my battles.) I now have plenty of room to hide the girl's art items, my fabric stash, and our liquor. As the first picture of Jay's cabinet reveals, there are still a lot of unfinished projects in our living room, and I still have the ugly ass sink to attempt to ignore on a daily basis. But our whole house is a work in progress and the new cabinet cleans the living room up a bit and controls clutter.

Now I just need to get Jay to work on making the other expensive item I want from the Sundance catalog:


Snap to it, Jay!

13 comments:

Mari said...

Very nice! Nice Title...!
I am impressed by the cabinet. What was the time span for that project?

We want to make a window seat, but we are scared to reroute the heat ducts, cut new holes in the floor and tear out the carpet... I completely understand your sink/counter dilemma!

Layrayski said...

Ha. Jay's wood. Clever.

Wow. Your husband's cabinet looks even better than the catalog. Very impressive. Very funny writing as usual, Tammie. =) The shaking part bit had me laughing.

melissa s. said...

i love it!

Bridge said...

I LOVE IT!!!!
Send him my way.

Tammie said...

mari: you do understand the sink/counter dilemma! i hate it when one project leads right into another project and then another and so on....
the cabinet only took jay a few weeks but he worked on it a lot---especially near the end when it really started to come together.

lyra and melissa s: thank you so much! :)

bridge: he's basically a good guy, but sometimes im tempted to send him off so you may want to rescind your invite.

CT said...

Love it! can Jay make another one in robin's egg blue and send it to mexico? not 795 plus 300, please! lol! seriously, it is just the thing that would go with my workshop/daybed nook/library... mind you, it is 10 ft by 10 ft... lol! I DO need storage and something as cute as this would definetly rock there!!!! hi there Tammie!

Tammie said...

ct: ha ha ha.....he'd probably be happy to make one, but shipping it to mexico, probably not so much.

robins egg blue sounds nice though...hmmm....i think jay is going to be making furniture around here for a loooonng time.

kraftykash said...

WOW! That turned out great. New projects are always fun.

Carla said...

Our men do amaze us from time to time now don't they? Yours did a great job, now if only my would take some hints...

Maria Rose said...

Wow, he's got skills!

Tammie said...

carla: i've given up on hints...now i just tell him outright what i want....he actually prefers it this way.

hester said...

That is one gorgeous cupboard! Perfect for anal recessive types like myself who like a place for everything and everything in its place. You have a very clever husband. (The shaking of breasts bit made me laugh too).

TextileNazi said...

That is an awsome cabinet. I'll shake something jiggly at him if he'd make one for us. (most things jiggle on me these days so he could have his pick) ;)