Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cookies

Still motivated by that warm fuzzy feeling I felt when our neighbors brought us a chicken dinner, I spent a good portion of last Saturday morning baking cookies. My go-to cookie recipe is the stuff of urban legends, the Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe. (The legend and the recipe can both be found here. )

The recipe makes about 8 billion cookies, which is fine because these cookies are quite the crowd pleasers. I shared most of mine this weekend, but even when I don't, I've never had any cookies sitting around untouched and going bad.

For the record, cookies are rarely eaten on a plate at my house. That was done purely for the purpose of taking a lovely picture. Around here, cookies are mindlessly shoved into mouths by the fistfulls, usually while completing other tasks such as bathroom cleaning, loading the washing machine, or doing homework. But those pictures wouldn't have been nearly as nice.

One final note:
When blending that oatmeal for the cookies, make sure it is weevil free. (wink wink)

12 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Yeah, who does use a plate for cookies?

earthmama said...

and what a lovely picture it is...you're so martha these days ; )

earthmama

Tammie said...

maria rose: i know! i dont think ive ever eaten cookies off a plate once in my life.

earthmama: awe shucks, thanks. really though, im the anti martha.

Mari said...

I put them on a plate sometimes 'cause they look so pretty! I'll have to try your recipe, they look so good! There must be something in the air, I baked an apple pie today. It was really good!

Tammie said...

mari: it's so comforting to bake in cooler weather...i was in the kitchen all day today too.

apple pie sounds delicious.

Amy said...

Hi Tammie,

I am the "Amy" Selena tagged. I am inspired by your blog. It is so comforting to know there is another random thinker out there. I am totally grabbed by the line, "life is too f'in short." You betcha! Time to be honest with who we are!

We also have the same whacky taste in movies. Try "The O Ohio."

Warmly,

Amy in Sebastopol

Tammie said...

amy: i just looked that movie up and added it to the top of my blockbuster queue. my husband loves parker posey so im sure it will be right up his alley.
;)

thanks for stopping by.

Cathy said...

oooh! thanks for reminding me about the neiman marcus recipe. I've been meaning to find that (the urban legend's been around for a while, I have no idea how long.)

You wouldn't believe what I did today, no plate, but I made cookies and there were enough to put in the JAR!
they'll be gone tomorrow.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

There's something on my blog for you. ♥

Tammie said...

cathy: i had to laugh, bcause sometimes when i make cookies there are way less than the recipe says there will be and i know it's because i snacked on the dough while making them.

hester said...

Hi Tammie

I came across your blog at "Wee hour stitches" and loved it. So good to read about other mothers who shove cookies in their mouths while attempting housework! Except, lately I am usually too slack to bake them and have been buying them instead.

regards
Hester (in Australia)

Tammie said...

hester: thanks so much for stopping by. and yeah, ive been buying the store bought ones lately too, but they don't make the house smell nearly as good.

:)