Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekly Update

Ok. There was no weekly update last week. I figured this out just now. Sorry. But, last week was spent practicing my sewing. I think we covered that in great detail. This past week I left the sewing machine for a few minutes and accomplished more.

Two Friday's ago we took the boy to the Fall Festival at his school. At the beginning of every year, when I go to Open House, I see the volunteer calendar in the boys classroom. Having been with the boy all summer I'm usually more than willing to sign up for things. I sign up to bring in items, do work at home, man the festival booth, and chaperone trips. Of course when the time comes to actually do these things, I'm in an entirely different state of mind and I can usually be found walking around the house grumbling, "What was I thinking?" I'll be totally honest with you, spending my Friday night with hundreds of elementary school kids is not my idea of a good time, but it is my son's idea of a good time (go figure.) So we went, and I'm glad we did because not only were they short on volunteers this year, but the boy had a great time. Although at times it was hard for me to tell if he was having fun because every time he caught me walking towards him, he would grab his friend by the arm and steer him in the opposite direction. I guess this means he's reached the "My mom is a complete embarrassment" stage. I hear it's only downhill at this point.

This weekend was a busy one for us. My mom and Jay didn't work on Friday and the boy has a four day weekend, so the house has been full. Friday we went to The Devils Millhopper. This giant sinkhole is one of my favorite places to visit. It's a workout going down the almost 250 steps to the bottom, but once you reach bottom the air just seems so much fresher. I don't know if it's because of the cooler weather or the fact that we haven't had a lot of rain lately, but the bottom was a lot dryer than usual. Normally. it's lush and green.Disregard the fake scowl Jay is giving me in the above picture and just look at the beautiful green background. I always joke that I would like to build my house at the bottom of the sinkhole.

After the steps we walked the trail. (I love how my mom is wearing her String Kings shirt.) Whenever we go to the sinkhole, I always bring my camera and snap a bunch of pictures, but I never feel as if I'm truly able to capture the enormity and beauty of the place. It's just something you have to see for yourself.

Saturday morning we had another garage sale. This time most of the proceeds were put towards the Washington DC trip the boy is taking at the end of the year. The school has sent home various fund raising packets for this but with the economy being as it is, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of the boy begging our friends and neighbors to buy overpriced junk. We will probably be paying for this trip all on our own.

While Jay and the boy were doing the garage sale, I was inside baking bread. Other than quick breads like banana and zucchini, this is the first time I've ever made bread. I've been toying with the idea of making this ever since seeing it over on Simple, Green, Frugal Co-Op but just never got around to it. But then NoWheyMama mentioned loving it so I decided I had to give it a try. The recipe calls for 3-4 cups of any combination of white or whole wheat flour. I used all whole wheat. My mom, the girl, and I like it but I think it's a little too earthy and healthy for the men folk. Everyone in blog land seems to have success with this bread recipe though so I'll try again, just using more white flour.

Saturday afternoon, as Jay and I were driving home, we came across a box marked "free" at the end of someones yard. Being the trash pickers that we are, we took that box home and I was quite overjoyed with the contents: fabric. Scraps of fabric in all sizes. Some of them were sewn together as if someone had started a project but gave up.
I love the dainty, feminine look of this fabric and I knew it had to become a skirt for the girl. So on Saturday night it became one:

I cut the strips down to a more uniform size and then sewed them all together. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be. I had wanted each individual strip to be about 3 1/2 inches wide but because the previous owner had sewn some crooked seams, some are thicker, some are thinner. (I'm totally not judging her crooked seams by the way, Lord knows I certainly have no right to judge.)

I'm still pleased with the outcome. I love that I was able to recycle something no longer of use to someone, and make it into clothing. I can't wait for my skills to grow beyond skirt making though.

Speaking of skirt making, this is the fabric that I ordered with the intention of making a skirt for myself.
Two yards of it sit in a bag on my sewing desk, waiting for me to get up the nerve to work with it. I'll be using one of the ideas from Sew What! Skirts. In my head, I have an exact picture of what I want the skirt to look like, I just need to get brave enough to cut into the fabric. I'll keep you updated.

Saturday night Jay took me out for drinks. Even though we have a live in babysitter(Grandma) we don't actually go out that often. It's just so much easier to stay at home and sit around in our pajamas. But we really should take advantage of it more often because it's so relaxing to get away from the noise and chaos of our house, even if for only an hour. Plus, I have so few chances to get dressed up anymore. I really think that only Victoria Beckham can get away with wearing heels while doing everyday activities. If I dressed like this, I'd look like a jackass.

Before I close out this update, I want to leave you with a few fall images from around my house:

Jay and the girl watching football. I swear sometimes I doubt she's my child.

A chihuahua in a sweater. Always a sign of colder weather.
Lastly, the boy helping Jay sweep pine needles off the roof.
I love the clear blue sky behind him.

18 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Glad you tried the bread! My family liked it best made with all white flour, but they did eat it made with one part whole wheat and two parts white.

Aleta said...

A house in a sink hole. I never thought house and sink hole would go together well in a sentence. When you mention sink holes in New Orleans, the ground keeps on sinkin'. Every year we have to add mud to the yard, because it sinks. The pictures were lovely, but it definitely sounds like something I'd like to go visit.

Tammie said...

nowhey: i consider any food you rave about to have some sort of seal of approval. (i love your cucumber pasta salad.)
and yeah, im definitely gonna have to try again with mostly white---i think i was trying to make my family into something they aren't.

aleta: i can total see how you would have a different view of sink holes than I. we get them here in yards and roads sometimes, but not too often.

Cathy said...

I have never gotten the whole wheat thing. As in, why does the whole wheat bread from the store taste good and when I sub whole wheat in my bread machine (nope, I won't knead the bread, no way) it comes out like a brick?

I found simple, green, frugal co-op too. I must be reading the right blogs...

Tammie said...

cathy: yeah, my whole wheat loaf was quite rock like.

i love simple, green, frugal co-op.

Tilly said...

I've just noticed that you are on my following list so hello and welcome. I'm a stay at home mum too and somewhat challenged in the sewing department! Your post about the odd sized pant legs really made me laugh (sorry!) and the fabric was just too cute!

Shalet said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! I think I may just have to bake some bread this week too ...

Bridge said...

Lovely pics...
btw, Ride the Waves is open again.

B

BloomingAlmond said...

Bread! YEY! skirt & fabrics! YEY!
And man... What great outdoor time you guys spend together... That's such a nice place to exercise :)
And yep... very cool pic of the Boy :) You would tell.. The kid bakes, sews and helps with the house :D

BloomingAlmond said...

*who would tell.... gosh.... lol

Lori Pickert said...

my older son still has post traumatic stress syndrome from taking a hike that included a mile of stairs like that -- i didn't think we would ever get him to agree to hike again!

Tammie said...

tilly: yes, i've been reading your blog on and off for the past few weeks and finally decided to click start following blogs.
i'm glad my sewing mishaps are entertaining. ;)

shalet: yeah my weekend wasn't bad. at least i wasn't stung by yellow jackets ;)

bridge: thank you so much. i missed you guys.

tania: it is a wonderful place to exercise. when we first moved here i couldnt go up and down them without getting winded, now it's no problem at all.

lori: oh no! your poor son. my family and i got lost on a hike in the woods once and ever since then when we hike i insist we go on baby trails. i feel your son's pain.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the Devil's Millhopper, too. But coming back UP those steps kicks my ass! I once saw a man jog up the stairs. I considered tripping him.
I don't think I terribly embarrass my kids yet, although I have been known to try.

Maria Rose said...

I know what you mean about trying to capture the beauty of a place within a photo. I struggle with that all of the time.

Tammie said...

cyndy: sometimes we see joggers too. i hate them.
i dont think i've embarrassed my son in any way, but i think he assumes i'm going to and doesn't give me the chance.

maria rose: i'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem. i seem to take decent enough pictures of my kids, but when i try to photograph nature, i always feel like im missing something.

Layrayski said...

Hi Tammie-- this is why one of my wishlist this christmas is a wide angle lens for my camera hehehe this is what I feel is lacking in my pics. It may or may not be true.

Your daughter is so photogenic. Actually your kids are photogenic. I'm sure they'd appreciate the photos and stories you have of them in the future. the photo where your hubby and your daughter were watching football is adorable =)

I love the chihuahua and the sweater! Haha

Tammie said...

lyra: thank you so much for the compliments about my kids.

i hope you get everything on your wish list! i don't consider myself a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but i can see how you'd want more accessories for your camera. like i mentioned in another comment, when i photograph certain things, i feel like im missing something. it's so frustrating.

Bridge said...

I'm in to president Obama!