Sunday, October 12, 2008

Weekly Update

This update is late, I know. For the last few days I've had a difficult time getting my shit together. The housework seemed overwhelming, the girl was crazy, loud, hyper, and demanding. I found it hard getting the usual stuff done, much less anything else. Because of that, this update is going to be skimpy, unless of course you want to read about the out of control laundry I have piling up. No? I didn't think so.

On Saturday the boy and I made the Amish Friendship bread.It came out delicious, but I am quite positive this stuff is very fattening. Considering the amount of flour, sugar, and milk that goes in this bread, I'm guessing the Amish are not health nuts.

Another project I worked on this past week was this skirt for the girl.

As you can see she was in the mood to ham it up. It's the Oliver + S Lazy Days skirt pattern. I originally saw it on Soule Mama. It was free and easy, two things I love. I made it somewhat longer than a lot of others I've seen. Since this is the first article of clothing I've made, I wanted to give myself some wiggle room in case I majorly messed something up. Next time I'll probably go a bit shorter.I read a lot of blogs in the past few days by gals who had made this skirt. An experienced person can make it in about a half hour. I worked on it on and off all weekend. Not to mention the ten days prior that I spent staring at the pattern wondering Can I actually do this? Well, I can and I did and it is mostly screw up free.

Of course there are a few minor imperfections, but nothing you can see without a magnifying glass. And frankly, if you are staring at my daughter's skirt with a magnifying glass, then I'm probably not the one with the problem. I'm really proud of myself for being able to do this. Plus, not only does the girl love it, but she watched as it grew from just a piece of material to a skirt with a ribbon trim. I think she got a little excitement about seeing it from start to finish.

And that is it for this update. See, I told you it would be short. But before I go I want to mention that my lovely friend Tania over at Blooming Almond gave me a groovy blogging award.

I've been reading Blooming Almond only for a few months, having stumbled upon it back in August when she posted about this awesome tree tote bag she created. It quickly became one of the blogs I click on daily. One of the rules of this award is that you have to pass it on to five readers of your blog. I'm going to have to skip out on this part because I only have a dozen or so regular readers who actually blog themselves so I tend to give these to the same people over and over again. But just know that I love and am so thankful for all the people I've "met" through blogging. I'm always amazed when someone takes the time out of their day to comment on some junk I posted here. And if I comment on your blog, then I consider you to be pretty cool. The blogs I read daily have been a continuing source of inspiration to me and I hope in some small way I can do that for my readers.

9 comments:

Layrayski said...

Wow! See, the next thing I'll know you'll be making complicated designs from your sewing machine.

I'm still get amazed at your son's interest in baking.

Yay! Congrats on the award =)

Nowheymama said...

The Amish have to stay well fortified to survive their labor and non-centrally-heated houses.

I Heart SouleMama.

Tammie said...

lyra: thank you.
i know, i'm very lucky because my husband really likes to cook so i think he sets a really good example for my kids. they don't see kitchen stuff as just ladies work.

nowheymama: ha ha...i think you are probably right.

i love soulemama too.

melissa s. said...

aww, love that mushy bit...

and LOVE LOVE LOVE the skirt! i fear patterns, so must stay far away from them. but that one...might have to overcome my fear for!

Tammie said...

melissa: thank you and believe me...if i can do it you can do it. I had no sewing knowledge whatsoever...i stared at that pattern for a long time working up the courage.

BloomingAlmond said...

heeeeey! I didn't see this!! :)
I'm still waiting for my handmade purse and now I want a skirt too! You're getting better so fast!! You're done a great job and about it being shorter next time, well, she'll grow right? lol

I want my son to bake too! That Amish thing is such a nice tradition! Specially when nowadays we almost don't know the people who live around us...

And oh gosh... I can't get over that skirt! Love the fabric and the cute trim!

Tammie said...

i thought maybe you hadn't seen it...i kept waiting for your supportive approval :)
---and the skirt is very easy, so i really hesitate to take a lot of credit for it--my skills aren't all that great.

it totally helps that my husband loves being in the kitchen...he's an awesome role model for kitchen stuff, which is good cause i really don't like cooking all that much...i love baking but if it would be difficult for me to make a lot of meals week after week.

i agree with you about the Amish...i like to make fun of them sometimes about their old fashioned ways, but i'm kinda jealous.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I so love the bloggy world. Sometimes I wonder what did I DO before I blogged?

Tammie said...

i do too. i love the community i've found.