Sunday, October 5, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

I've been thinking a lot about kindness lately. (Partially because of a couple of great posts over at Little Things are Big here and here.) I would like to think that generally I'm a kind person, although I wish I did more random kind things. It's not that I don't want to do these simple random acts of kindness, I just forget. When I leave the house it's usually with at least one kid in tow and the trips are pretty rushed---I just don't stop to think about doing any kind acts.

It's a shame really. Personally, I don't expect much of people. I have found that not only do most people not do what they say they are going to do, but they rarely even do what they should do. People don't even give the bare minimum anymore. I mean, when I'm walking into a store and someone holds the door for me, I'm shocked. Not that I expect random strangers to open doors for me......but I expect them NOT TO. And I think that's sad.

I don't want to believe that the world is full of jerks. I try to believe that people are just busy and don't stop to think about others. I know life has gotten harder. People are cramming in more work hours just to get by. I try to keep this in mind when I encounter rudeness. It can be difficult though, because as a general rule, people tend to let me down. I've gotten used to expecting very little from people.

Saturday morning we got an email from the gal who last weekend had given us all the great Freecycle items. So Jay went over to her house after work and came back with a trunk full of paper supplies, collage items, and just various vintage fun stuff. I thought it was incredibly nice that, instead of going through Freecycle, she emailed us directly to give us first dibs on it. This was one of those small nice acts that I'm amazed by.

Without a doubt, the most interesting thing to come from the boxes is this:
Grass. A card game about dealing marijuana. I've never seen anything like this before in my life. Jay and I are definitely going to have to play this.

Another high point of my weekend was that Jay was nice enough to paint my sewing desk for me.The eagle-eyed among you will notice that this is the desk I picked up off the side of the road. Jay did a great job painting it and it really adds something to my front room. Since the desk was free and the paint was leftover, this entire project didn't cost a dime. Yay for free stuff.

I think this week I'm going to make a conscious effort to be a bit kinder to people and hopefully it will stick. I don't want kindness to continue being an afterthought. Plus, maybe the kindness will spread.

6 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I am so glad to hear that you were a bit inspired. Since I have started my little random acts of kindness I have seen it spread dramatically. I feel like I am looking at the world differently. I hope you will find the same.

Tammie said...

maria rose: I hope so too. Thank you again for the wonderful and inspiring posts.

Posey said...

I think sometimes people are just jerky and sometimes just like you said, I think people are just unaware, wrapped up in their own lives and just not thinking. They aren't intentionally rude (At least I hope not).

Tammie said...

posey: thats what i hope too. i dont want to think that everyone in the world is just an asshole.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I've been trying this recently, too. Also, I happened to read a freecycle offer for cat food, and she had bought the cat food simply to give away on freecycle. I was so impressed that I emailed her, and she said that she had known hard times herself and now that she's doing better, she tries to help others, and she knows that in these hard times, people sometimes lose their animals due to the inability to feed them. So, she finds good deals or coupons for pet food and gives it away.
I think that's totally awesome!

Tammie said...

that's a great idea...plus it's something easy to do.