Monday, October 20, 2008

Random Thoughts

There has been a serious lack of substantive posts here lately, and for that I apologize. There really are no excuses. Along with all the usual mommy stuff, I've just been busy reading, practicing my sewing, and watching dvd's. Thrilling, huh? Or maybe you're thinking that there has never been anything of substance here. If that's the case, then let's all praise my ability to maintain the status quo. And now, Random Thoughts.

*Saturday I bought Sew What! Skirts.
There are a lot of sewing books I want. I budgeted myself enough cash for one book and this is the one I chose. I picked this one because it is filled with ideas that are both easy and useful to my life. I like wearing skirts and would wear them more often if I could find more that I liked and that fit into my budget. I cannot wait to get sewing.

*In a few days I will be 32 years old. (Interesting tidbit: I was 21 when I had my son, my mom was 21 when she had me, and my grandmother was 21 when she had my mom.) For the most part, aging doesn't really bother me. I've always felt older than I am, so as I age I feel like the gap between the age I feel and the age I actually am is getting narrower.

*I stayed awake to watch SNL on Saturday night and saw Alec Baldwin in the opening skit. Okay, technically I didn't stay awake. I took a nap from about 10:45-11:30, waking up just in time to see Alec. It was just dumb luck. Sarah Palin did better than I thought she would. But of course I have the lowest of expectations for her. As long as she doesn't walk into walls or start speaking pig latin, I think she's doing ok. I have come to the conclusion that although I think she would be a terrible VP and I disagree with everything she stands for, she does a great job of being useless celebrity eye candy. People are attracted to her and find her entertaining, sort of like Paris Hilton. I had to laugh when she said her favorite Baldwin is Stephen.

Putting politics aside and going just by hotness alone, how could anyone choose Stephen,
over Alec:
or Billy:
or even fat, sweaty Daniel?
Seriously, if you're choosing Stephen as your favorite Baldwin, you might as well not even have a favorite Baldwin.

*In a matter of weeks my son will be going on a camping trip with all the other fifth graders at his school. When I first found out about this trip I had hoped that one of us my husband would be able to chaperone. But he has to work and I have to stay home with the girl. This is the first time my son will be spending a few nights away from home without a family member or close friend. I'm not comfortable with this. But my son is comfortable with it. Sigh. I can't keep him locked up in the house forever just because I want to keep him young. I'm sure that I will be a wreck, but it will be good practice for when he goes on the Washington DC trip at the end of the school year. My baby is growing up.

8 comments:

Becky..AMHW said...

Isn't Stephen the one that went all Christian fundie? That would appeal to our Sarah I'm sure.

Sewing IS EXCITING. And that's my final answer.

Tammie said...

yep, stephen is a born again christian, i believe. i honestly try to just not think of him as even being a baldwin.

Intentional said...

my favorite baldwin is Adam
http://www.fireflywiki.org/img/Jayne23.jpg

oh...wait...

Fifth grade? you have to let them go in fifth grade? only two more years?
oh no, I think I'm going to die (nevermind I was 10 the first time I went on a road trip with my chorus, we were so bad, we watched Ghostbusters!)

melissa s. said...

re: locking up kids in house forever.
I had a little freak out during my son's swim class today when I realized he's learning to SWIM...like, in WATER... which opens the door to all kinds of independence. I'm just not ok with that.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I remember when my son went on this field trip. I was so worried! He did fine though. You couldn't pay me to chaperone that one.

Layrayski said...

Choose a Baldwin. Funny. =)

Tammie said...

intentional: ha ha. although not a member of my Baldwin family, adam is quite hot nonetheless.

melissa: i know....im not ok with a lot of the growing up things my son is doing. sigh. it's hard. he almost seems like a young adult now.

cyndy: i hear ya. even if i could go on this trip, i really don't want to. i keep thinking of you as we are planning these trips because i know you mentioned your son went on this one and the DC one and i have to remind myself other people i respect have gone through exactly what i'm going through and they and there kids lived.

lyra: so which baldwin would you choose? heehee

Layrayski said...

I enjoyed your description of Daniel Baldwin. it gives me the giggles.

Happy birthday!=)

Its funny because I think I have a different age than my chronological age too. When I was around four, I feel like I'm wiser than I am right now. But I know I have always been rebelling against getting older even when I was still very, very young.

And that 21 tidbit is, I agree, very interesting. Maybe I should tell my father to bet on that number for a game of "last two" hehehehe