Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Gross Story

I've been debating on whether or not to share the following disgusting story with you folks. When it first happened I thought There is no way I'm sharing this with the interwebs. Yet, here I go.

I enjoy eating uncooked oats. (NO, that isn't the gross part.) I like uncooked oats in small amounts. One of my favorite breakfasts is chopped fruit sprinkled with nuts, uncooked oats, and topped off with a few dribbles of agave nectar. To me, it sort of tastes like oatmeal cookie dough, which is something I could eat by the bowlful.

Anyway, I had been enjoying this breakfast for a week or so when I realized I had run out of oatmeal. But after digging around in the pantry I found another canister of oatmeal way in the back, but it had been opened and I wasn't sure how long it had been there. I opened the canister, smelled the contents, and quickly scanned it for weevils. (In case you are unfamiliar with weevils, they are teeny tiny bugs that like to hang out in grains that have been stored in your pantry for too long.) It looked safe so I dumped some oats in my bowl and enjoyed my breakfast.

The next morning I ate a bit later in the day---so the kitchen was more well lit. I took the lid off the oatmeal and was about to stick my hand in and grab some oats when I see them---weevils. Hundreds of them. Everywhere. The container was black with bugs. Because such a massive infestation couldn't occur overnight, it would stand to reason that when I had breakfast the day before, I had basically eaten a bowl full of bugs.

I need to explain something to you. Although I don't consider myself a vegetarian, I'm pretty picky about what I put into my body when it comes to things that used to be alive. On the rare occasion that I do eat red meat, it has to be burnt to a crisp so as to not even resemble meat. I won't eat chicken if it looks "ugly." And don't even think of giving me something with a bone still attached. Do I look like a viking?! So when the realization hit me that I had consumed a bowl full of live, squirming bugs, it was seriously enough to put me over the edge.

I'm trying to convince myself that maybe all the weevils were initially at the bottom of the canister and when I used the oatmeal the first day, maybe I disrupted their homes and they all came to the surface. Does this sound possible? Or does it just sound like someone trying to rationalize the fact that they ate bugs?

Either way, my pantry is now getting cleaned out once a week.

21 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I just left a comment that got eaten. Anyway, we've probably all eaten bugs without knowing it, and we're all OK, right?

Aleta said...

Eww, eww, ewwwwww..... that's enough to make me sick, just thinking about it. I had weavils in my pantry one time. Now, anything that isn't in a can goes into the refrig! I'm serious. Greg looks at me like I'm nuts when I put stuff like oatmeal and flour and such in the refrig, but I refuse, absolutely refuse to have bugs in the food. Argghhh.. I'm sorry you went through that... well, you had an extra helping of protein?

Mari said...

Ok Tammie, you might want to sit down, take a deep breath... I found you this handy chart. Scroll about halfway down the page:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ythfacts/bugfood/bugfood2.htm

BloomingAlmond said...

Gross... totally gross... But I guess you taste them, right? Or at least feel that something was different... I guess... I don't know.... but gross...... oh gosh so gross... :x

Tammie said...

nowhey: yeah probably, but i'd rather not think about it.

aleta: now when greg stares at you funny, you can share my story.

mari: um....thanks i guess. i totally did not need to know that. never gonna look at spaghetti sauce the same way.

tania: NO! i didn't taste them at all. weevils are really, really tiny. unless you are looking for them, you wouldn't notice them. that doesn't make it any better though.

Layrayski said...

That really sounds icky especially when you are quite sensitive with the food you eat. The hairs on my arms are standing on end. Haha. This is better than a halloween blog. I guess I won't tell you that I'm quite adventurous with my food. Except for insects, maybe. But I get curious what grasshoppers/locusts taste like haha

Yeah, it was just an overnight thing. I don't believe you didn't see black weevils while you were checking it out the day before. And you would've felt them moving in your mouth! (Sorry *grin*)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I think you ate bugs. hee hee
LOVE that chart from Mari!

Bridge said...

i'm sorry!
I once had a friend who ate mouse turds in her raisin bran thinking they were raisins...hopefully that will make you feel better.

melissa s. said...

oh my. as soon as i saw your post title and the word "oatmeal" i was hoping against all odds that weevils weren't involved. i'm sorry you ate bugs. at least you got a little extra protein?

Maria Rose said...

I have done the same things, but even more gross...I got sick after realizing I had eaten live weevils and they were still alive after I puked them out! Few things are more gross than that, I feel your pain.

jessieearthmomma said...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

intentional-stones said...

eww, just eww.
I hate pantry buggies.
but I know I've eaten bugs in the past.
condolences.

Tammie said...

bridge: mouse turds sounds way worse. i think i'll take weevils anyday.

maria rose: you win.

Apron Thrift Girl said...

That is just awful! I don't do bugs in the slightest. That would make me go straight to the porcelain thrown. I feel for you big time.

kraftykash said...

Thanks for the story! Bugs freak me out! Happy Halloween!
Kashoan

sukku said...

That's why the Jain priests in India cover their mouth with a cloth...so that no bugs or insects would get in as they are pure vegetarian...having said that...you should make a trip to Thailand...they serve fried scorpions...and bugs...actually if you don't know about the weevils....being in the oatmeal and you are still ok after eating it...I guess it is better to forget about that episode...or imagine if you are stranded in an island...and the only food that is available is a tin of oatmeal with weevils in it...then what do you do?

Christine said...

I've been invested with those little bastards myself. First you need to clean out the pantry and throw out anything that is in a box. Then you need to start putting everything that comes that way in large zip lock bags.
I had the problem once like every other year and now never had it again.

I really didn't enjoy pouring a box of pasta in some boiling water and having little black insects mixing in with the marinara sauce.

I feel for ya.

earthmama said...

Um Tammie? You totally gorged on a breakfast o' bugs!! Ugh...barf...gag...blaaahhhh! Horrid. Maybe, just MAYbe they were at the bottom of the container? The breakfast sounds delicious...bugs on the side please! Oh well. Such is life. Can you imagine what it was like in Colonial times or in Pioneering days! We're SO LUCKY!!!! My advice is to do a couple shots. If your digestive acids haven't done the job, the booze will surely finish 'em off!!! And it might help take your mind off the heebeeejeebeez of it all !! Good story. Thanks for sharing. I'm about to head to whole foods to the bulk food section & you can BE SURE I'll be taking an extra close look before scooping!!!

; O
earthmama

Tammie said...

sukku: you are totally right, and honestly in the grand scheme of things, weevils arent really that bad. i'd probably take them over roaches.

christine: wise advice...as for now, most everything is being crammed into the fridge.

earthmama: ha ha..i know, as much as i try to downplay it in my head, i know in my heart i ate bugs.

Posey said...

I don't think I can eat oatmeal again. I pretty much keep EVERYTHING in the refrigerator.

Tammie said...

posey: sorry i ruined oats for you.