Thursday, October 16, 2008

Because Robots are Everywhere and They Want to Eat Your Medicine......

Ever since the sewing machine entered our house a few weeks ago the boy has been nagging me to let him make something. Once I had learned the ins and outs of the machine, I got on Etsy and bought some fabric I thought he'd like and we sat down to make a pencil case. The boy chose the shape he wanted and did all the work, even sewing on the velcro closures. Hooray for making your own school supplies!Of course I couldn't just leave the leftover fabric sitting there......I had to make another skirt. (I promise this is the last skirt I'll force upon you.)

I didn't have any coordinating ribbon so I just gave it a regular old hem. Since I have more or less mastered the making of little girl skirts, I think it's time to move on to something else. Of course I'll keep you updated on whatever the next project is---even if it ends up going in the garbage.

Oh and if you're scratching your head trying to figure out the meaning of the title to this post, it's from an old SNL commercial parody. (You can check it out by going here---it's only a minute and a half.) You guys have no idea how TV has ruined me. Whenever I'm trying to have an adult conversation this is the garbage that's floating around in my head.

9 comments:

Aleta said...

How cool that you taught your son sewing! I think that's wonderful! He did an excellent job - kudos to him.

BloomingAlmond said...

That kid bakes and sews? Oh gosh... :D

The pencil case is actually pretty nice! very cute fabric... You really gotta stop showing these things... My sewing "pachine" is not in place yet! ..... I wanna sew too... lol

There are no such thins as too many books... or skirts!

Apron Thrift Girl said...

Me too. I never think of the clever stuff just tv related things or worse tv stars' birthdays. How useful is that?

Posey said...

If I didn't watch so much TV, I would get a whole lot more done.

melissa s. said...

seriously in love with that robot fabric. it's perfect! and awesome job on the pencil case!

And I have the same garbage in my head, only manifested as quotes from any monty python film ever created. my brothers were mp fanatics growing up and those quotes are burned into my brain forever. so when you see a "just one wafer-thin mint" blog post of mine, you'll know what's up.

Tammie said...

i'm so glad i'm not the only one with a head full of tv silliness. i can't tell you how many times I've let one of my nuggets slip out, only to be stared at like a complete doofus.

Maria Rose said...

I love that fabric!

Intentional said...

tv is teh evillllL!!!!
which is why it haunts my dreams, conversations, everything!

crafting about it exorcises it, doesn't it?

Tammie said...

maria rose: isnt it great? i especially like the contrast of it being a slightly boyish fabric, yet on a skirt.

intentional: so nice to have you back...i love your comments. tv is totally evil. and it is my ruler.