Friday, September 26, 2008

Weekly Update

The weather here lately has been unseasonably gorgeous. Cool, breezy and with incredibly low humidity. I've had the air conditioner off and all my glass doors open. It's been hard to stay inside. I'm finding myself ignoring the inside of the house and doing more and more outside. If I seem to be overreacting about the coming of fall it is because here in Florida the first day of fall comes and goes with little fanfare and very little change in the weather. But with temperatures in the sixties and seventies I can pretend I don't live in Florida and it's a wonderful feeling.

When the weather gets cooler I become a new person, a better person. My thoughts are clearer, I have a rosier outlook on life, and I'm just an all around more fun person to be around. As the temperature drops I tend to get all Holly Freakin' Homemaker and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen baking. The first sign of cool weather has me psychotically baking something with pumpkin in it. Jay and I have been craving pumpkin pie lately but it just seems wrong to eat a pumpkin pie in 90 degree weather so we've been patiently waiting. We could wait no longer and Wednesday I made this:

But it is not just any pumpkin pie. It's a Chocolate Bottom Pumpkin Pie. The recipe can be found on author Ayun Halliday's very neglected cooking blog, Dirty Sugar Cookies. The recipe is very similar to your average pumpkin pie recipe except instead of evaporated milk you use sweetened condensed and before dumping the pumpkin mixture in, you cover the bottom of the pie shell with chocolate chips. It's going to be hard to not make this every few days. (By the way, if you've never read any of Ayun Halliday's books, you really are missing out. Get yourself to a bookstore!)

Since I was so heavily into bitching about my son's education a few weeks ago, I wanted to update you on the situation. It's.......better? Honestly, I don't know. He's brought home some of his school work. The grades are good but with room for improvement, which is fine. This is typical of my son's work. But there still is little to no homework which I find disturbing. Plus, he brought home a progress report this week that was all A's. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm overjoyed---I mean my kid got all A's!!! On the other hand, um....my kid got all A's. It's a bit unusual. My son is not the type to put forth the effort to earn all A's so I'm thinking he might not be challenged. I'm not the only one who felt this way. When I told Jay and my mom about it, they both had responses like, How on earth did that happen?!? Of course we kept our feelings from the boy, not wanting to discourage him if he did earn those A's. But the whole situation is something that is in the back of my mind at all times. As a side note: Another blogger, Texan Mama, has done some great posts over the past few days about the No Child Left Behind Act. She basically is just trying to inform herself and others about the pluses and minuses of it. She has put up with my bazillion comments over the last few days and I'm sure she wouldn't mind yours as well. So head on over there if you are so inclined. It's a hot topic that everyone has an opinion about but the bottom line is that we all want the best education for our kids. So even though we disagree about a lot of the finer points of it, we are all on the same side and the discussion has been awesome.

Notice anything slightly funny about these two pictures?


Firstly, they were taken on two separate days. Secondly, every time my son does have homework, my daughter has to sit next to him doing her "homework" aka coloring in an Elmo coloring book. Thirdly, and most humorously, is that my son is always wearing his Safety Patrol sash, even though the school day has ended. If you watch as much Soongebob Squarepants as I do, then you've probably seen the one where Spongebob became Hall Monitor. Sometimes I feel like I live with Spongebob. He has even been nervy enough to give us "tickets."

I apologize if this Update seems a bit skimpy. I've spent a lot of time outside enjoying the cool weather and not doing much else, which is good because I just heard that this weekend the temperatures are supposed to get back into the high eighties. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I am going to have to find a way to make that pie dairy free, and that's all there is to it.

Tammie said...

if anyone is up to the challenge, its you! i have faith in you!!!

Aleta said...

Ok, I have to ask... what "tickets" did you get from your son? That is just too cute! Oh my gosh - a pumpkin pie with chocolate in it? Ohhh, I'm going to have to give it a try!

TêPê said...

You know what "we" are watching right this second? Sponge Bob... so yeah.. I kinda live w/ S.Bob.....

Do you make the pie crust yourself? I always wanted to learn how to do that....

You're all on pumpkin... late and pie.. lol :)

Tammie said...

aleta: oh, for various silly things. he gave me one for loitering which is a word im not even sure he knows the meaning to. then i was cleaning my daughters playhouse and he gave me one for "breaking and entering." he's a piece of work.

tepe(sorry i dont know how to make the little things over the e's): we are big spongebob fans---mainly because we have to be--the kids love it.

nope...i've never made a pie crust myself---it's so beyond my skill level. it's strictly store bought crusts for me.

BloomingAlmond said...

Oh man... that tÊpê was me... I was logged in with another mail and didn't even know I had that on blogger! Sorry for that... :)

Tammie said...

no problem...it's nice to know that it was you i was conversing with though.

:)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I'm loving this weather!
Your header is too funny.