Friday, September 12, 2008

Weekly Update

I really had a hard time getting with it this week. The past few days have seriously dragged. I feel like mentally I just haven't been here. It was particularly bad Friday morning when the girl was up before six a.m. yelling about how she wanted to watch her Caillou dvd. The early morning whines of my daughter and Caillou is enough to put anyone over the edge. Add to that the dog barking, the bird squawking, and a cat throwing up in my bedroom. All I wanted to do was crawl back into bed.

I was so excited when Jay took a few minutes out of his morning and brought me back coffee and breakfast from Starbucks. My at-home coffee just wasn't doing it for me and nothing perks me up like a Pumpkin Spice Latte. As for the breakfast, I didn't even know Starbucks sold oatmeal. Then again I've never entered a Starbucks actually looking for oatmeal. If I do go in thinking about food, I usually veer more towards a gooey pastry the size of my car than a cup of oatmeal. But it was surprisingly good, not at all like a typical fast food breakfast. It's moments like this that make me think I have the best husband ever. (Before my husband gets a big head I want to point out that I was thinking quite the opposite about him when I came home at about midnight last night to find that he had started sanding our bedroom and there was a layer of dust on everything. But since he helped me clean it up this morning, he's back in best husband territory. For now.)

The reason I was out so late was because it was the second Friday of the month and my mom and I had to warm our usual table and watch The String Kings perform. I would quickly like to pose a question to the ladies who read this:

What is the quickest, most surefire way to feel like the ugliest gal in a bar?

Answer: Spend a few hours sitting behind this girl. (I'm not going to mention her name but she's from Gainesville and has been in Playboy, which makes her a minor celebrity.)


Yeah. That's how I spent the last half of the evening. Obviously she wasn't dressed like that, but still. I'll be thirty two years old next month. I thought I was way past the point where I let these types of girls make me feel bad about myself. I hate that I let it bother me, but sitting behind her I felt like a donkey. Will I ever be able to stand in the same room with a girl like this without feeling like the dowdiest of troglodytes? Don't answer that. Sigh.

The rest of the week was filled with all of the usual things that seem to take up so much of my time. Worries about school, a PTA meeting, trips to the park and the library, and so on and so forth. All those things that fill my days that don't seem important yet must be because I continue to do them day in and day out.

Before I close out this update I wanted to share a few things with you. My lovely friend Cyndy is an amazing woman. She's a mom, she works at the hospital, and in her 'spare' time she rescues and fosters dachshunds. She gets no money for it, she and her family do it because they love animals. Her rescue group has a new blog to showcase some of the dogs and basically get the word out. Please check it out.

There are a few other new links to the right as well, including two for bloggers over at The Huffington Post, Eve Ensler and Erica Jong. In recent days they have both posted amazing pieces that deserve a few moments of your time. (Thanks to my friend Melissa for giving me the heads up about these.)

I'm thinking of taking a few days off from my blog. It has become a bit of an addiction lately and I just need a break. A few mental health days. I'll still be reading your blogs, just don't expect anything new from me until around the middle of the week at the earliest. I'm giving myself permission to do very little.

6 comments:

DYSFUNCTIONAL MOM said...

Aw, thanks so much for your kind words and helping me pimp my dawgs.
That girl, you-know-who, should just go hide somewhere and leave us mere mortals alone. The nerve!
Do y'all ever go to the downtown plaza on Friday nights & listen to the live bands? We did this past Friday and it was pretty cool. I think we're going to take the kids next Fri.

BloomingAlmond said...

You wanna know what my kid is doing right now? Watching his Caillou dvd.... Seriously.
And man, what a hot chick! Must be stupid as a door though :)
You know, you are really needing that book "Buddhism for Mothers". That book is so good I'm even thinking of fotocopying it and give it to my mom friends (who know english...) :)

Enjoy your break girl... You sure deserve it!!

Tammie said...

cyndy: I know! What was she even doing at my hangout?!?!

I have been to the downtown plaza and like it a lot. I only wish it continued in the fall/winter as well. I'm not much for the heat. But it's such a nice venue and it's fun for the kids too.

blooming: of course i have no way of knowing if she is as stupid as a door, but I would like to think so. That's how god keeps things even. HA.
Caillou is so whiny and his parents are so patient. They never yell.
I'm going to see about getting that book from the library this week. I've been thinking about it a lot.

BloomingAlmond said...

You know!! They never yell at the kids... lol Canada must be one calm place or maybe cartoon parents are on xanax.... my guess... :)
I'd to think that those hot as hell girls are stupid... That's how I feel better about myself... lol

Go get that book! It makes a loooooooot of sense... :)

Layrayski said...

aw... you have the sweetest husband!

"dowdiest of troglodytes"--brilliant!

I guess beauty is really in the eye of the beholder because I don't find her that attractive. She doesn't look human to me (hehehe)

We have the same reaction when something is taking too much of my time. take a time out. Take care!

Tammie said...

thanks lyra.

and i agree with you...i think people with imperfections and flaws are much more interesting than people who consistently look as if they should be on a magazine cover. i need your help convincing the rest of the american population to agree with me.