Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Time Off

Are you wondering how I filled my time when I took a little break from blogging? The answers would bore you. I read, I bathed the dog, I paid bills. See. I said you'd be bored. I wish I could come back to you and tell you about some intense project I completed. Nope, no projects. I wish I could show you some pictures of me actually doing things. Nope, no pictures. Above all, I wish there was some legitimate reason I took some time off, but there isn't. Simply put, I just needed a break.

Sometimes I'll sit at the computer with the sole objective of quickly typing out a blog. The next thing I know, I'm looking up cookie recipes or shopping for books or nail polish. Pretty soon I look at the clock and two hours have gone by and I'm still in my pajamas. Or maybe I'll start out reading others blogs and the next thing I know I've stumbled upon something scary or disturbing. It's very, very easy to get sucked into this e-mail machine and lose hours of my life.

I feel like I've been in another world lately. Does that sound crazy? Maybe it's because football season has started. I'm quite sure that I'm the only person in Gainesville, possible the United States, who doesn't really give a rats ass about the game. But it isn't really the game itself that bothers me. It's the general feeling that comes over this city. It's as if everything else stops and nothing matters but football. Sometimes I worry that something bad is going to happen in the world and my town isn't going to be aware of it until after the Gators score the winning touchdown.

Other times, during the heart of football season, when the weather is cooler and I have all the windows open, I can hear my neighbors cheering and hollering. This bums me out and makes me lonely. I think back to my high school days when I would hide in the bathroom during pep rallies. I felt like an outsider. Sometimes I still do. I have just never been able to understand the whole pack mentality that comes over hardcore sports fans. Maybe because I've never found myself as a member of any pack. It's completely foreign to me.

Wow. I really had no intention of coming back from my break in such a bleak mood. Let's change the subject somewhat.

Because it is football season, I sort of don't have a husband for a few months. I mean, physically he's here. But he's usually in front of the TV, or reading a sports magazine, or in the refrigerator looking for snacks and beer to take back to the spot in front of the TV. Honestly, this doesn't bother me too much, because occasionally I like being left alone for long stretches of time. But if I do want to see a man who isn't spouting football statistics, I usually have to turn on the TV (or read a book.)

One of my other celeb crushes (other than this guy) is Christopher Meloni. I have to admit that when I first saw he was going to be in a Nickelodeon movie I was a bit disappointed. Sitting and watching Nickelodeon just isn't my idea of a good time. But then I saw Amy Sedaris was in it and the decision was made. The movie is called Gym Teacher and it was ok. It was Nickelodeon. I got from it what I expected to get. Christopher Meloni's hotness in it was at an acceptable level.

This is how I'm used to seeing Christopher Meloni on Law and Order: SVU.
This is how he looked in the Nickelodeon movie.

Which isn't nearly as bad as how he looked in Harold and Kumar.

Incidentally, if you Google Image Christopher Meloni, the fourth picture that comes up is from when he was on the HBO prison show Oz. And he's totally naked. I'm not going to post that picture because that would be skanky. Plus, my mom reads this. But I will post the link to the general area of it though. You know, just in case mom wants to look.

For what it's worth, despite the fact that Christopher Meloni is quite sexy, it's hard for me to consider anything Oz related sexy at all. Prison sex just doesn't figure heavily into my sexual fantasies. (I know, I'm such a prude.)

Well people, that's how I spent my mini break: paying bills, reading, and pondering Christopher Meloni's various degrees of attractiveness.

In case you missed all the many hints via the links (or just chose to ignore them), only six more days until Alec Baldwin's book comes out. After I read it, you can expect to find my review of it here. A totally unbiased review of course.

6 comments:

BloomingAlmond said...

Girl, a break is all about doing boring stuff or doing nothing... :)
And funny... I guess men are all the same when it comes to sports... Damn...

I don't really have a celebrity crush... Ok Ok.... Josh Holloway. :D
He's so freaking hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammie said...

I just had to google Josh Holloway. I had no idea who it was. I've never seen Lost. I am so clueless.

Nowheymama said...

It seems as if it's been a slow blogging time for a lot of people lately. Must be the time of year.

Layrayski said...

Internet does seem to swallow up time in huge gulps. So... like you I usually take a break. But then again, I use blogging and the internet to take a break from my life. What to do what to do? Hehehe

Ok! We'll wait for the Alec Baldwin's book review with bated breath! Hahaha

Apron Thrift Girl said...

I think a break sometimes means just sitting on the couch reading endlessly until you are ready to come up for air. Dave is into soccer (english foodball) and not only does the season last 10 months but every 2 years there is something in the summer like the World cup or European cup. Sigh..

luisa said...

Congratulations on your great blog! We'd like to invite you to join our DogTime Blog Network.

DogTime is the largest online community of animal lovers with nearly 8.2 million unique visitors per month and over 150 member sites across the pet category. Please visit www.Dogtime.com to learn more about our mission.

As a DogTime Blog Star many more pet enthusiasts will see and read your blog and provide you with the opportunity to share your love of animals. Once the network is up and running (in the next week) there will also be an opportunity to qualify to make advertising revenue.

Participation is simple, as we will use your existing RSS feed to feature your blog and posts. If you would like to participate simply reply to this email with the URL of your RSS feed.

For more details about the benefits of participating in the DogTime Blog Network please refer to our FAQs here: http://dogtime.com/dogtime-blog-network-faq.html.

Thanks, and we hope you Find Your Wag!

Kind regards,

Luisa Lapus Tiong
DogTime Media, Inc.
Tel (415) 830-9318
Fax (415) 692-8171
27 Maiden Lane, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94108
luisa@dogtime.com
www.dogtime.com
www.dogtimemedia.com