Friday, September 19, 2008

Random Thoughts

Isn't this gal creepy? More about her in a moment.
Now onto Random Thoughts.

*Whenever I look in the mirror, I swear that my glasses are crooked. My family insists that my glasses are straight. Which leads me to wonder: Is my vision crooked? Or is my actual face crooked but my family has grown so used to it that they don't notice it? Do random people that see me notice a crooked face? Sigh. It's all so confusing.

*My son wants a cell phone. There is no way this is going to happen. He doesn't even use the regular phone. When I asked him who he would even call with his cell phone, his answer was, "You." To which I replied, "Well now you are definitely not getting one because I would actual prefer you talk to me a bit less." Is this bad parenting? The last time we were at the school together he pointed out all the kids in his class that have their own cell phones. What does a ten year old need a cell phone for? You know how old I was when I got my first cell phone? Thirty!

*Have you guys seen the commercials for high fructose corn syrup? (If you haven't then you can click here and see a few of them.) I saw one the other night and could not believe what I was seeing. At first I thought it was some sort of joke. Do they think we are stupid? First of all, the commercials are paid for by The Corn Refiners Association, so they have a lot to gain by getting the word out to the public that it's okay to eat high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in "moderation." Secondly, HFCS is in a lot of the items on the store shelves, even "healthy" food like yogurt and granola bars. Most of us, unless we are hyper vigilant, are probably already eating it moderation. Lastly, I just went to the The Corn Refiners Association website and I really shouldn't have because it just pissed me off to no end. They say that Moms are overlooking the "real culprits" of their children's weight gain and high caloric intake. Their big argument is that "single ingredients don't make kids overweight and obese." While this on it's own is true, if that single ingredient is in just about every food a kid eats, then I think it's fair to at least partially blame the kids weight gain on that single ingredient. I'm offended that they think I am so stupid as to not see this. My family does not avoid HFCS 100% of the time---that would be almost impossible. But we are aware that anything with HFCS in it, is not health food, not good for us, and has virtually no nutritional value.

*A few weeks ago I found a very ugly caterpillar. As is the plan of very ugly caterpillars, he made a cocoon on one my trees. Yesterday the girl and I were lucky enough to be around when he emerged. In this first picture you can see the remains of the cocoon directly underneath him/her/it.


I am aware that pictures of a butterfly might not be that interesting to the average person that stumbles upon my blog. But I had checked on the cocoon daily, even running outside during the wind and rain to make sure that it was okay. I feel a bit like a butterfly mama. The butterfly obviously did not feel the same connection to me because after flitting around the yard for a few hours it flew over the fence and hasn't come back since.

*A few nights ago Jay came home from work with the doll pictured in the photo at the top of the page. He explained that there had been a bitchy woman in his store with a bratty little girl. After they left and Jay was cleaning the store, he came across the Happy Meal that had been left behind by the little girl. He brought the doll home for our daughter and then explained that he "had eaten the brat's chicken nuggets too!" I was about to chastise Jay for eating someones forgotten (albeit unopened) chicken nuggets, but then I remembered that earlier in the day I had eaten some Skittles that I had found in the couch cushions. Who am I to chastise anyone?

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I can't believe those HFCS ads, either. I guess the good thing about them is it means they're getting nervous because more people are making healthier food choices.

Tammie said...

nowheymama: yes, i suppose that is the bright side to all of this.
i worry though that the people who aren't incredibly informed about the issue are just going to assume it means it's ok to eat as much as they want.

what's "moderation" to one person, may not be "moderation" to someone else.

earthmama said...

I love the way you blog! My mind works in such a similar way, but you are really able to capture it so much better than I. The doll IS super creepy! The HFCS adds are so in keeping with contemporary society--isn't that how Bush got elected the 1st & 2nd time around? hehehe.

Also, I love the anecdote about the butterfly! Beautiful pictures and how lucky for you to get to witness that amazing transformation! So many pp take it for granted--not you. I think it's wonderful. Thanks for sharing! Great reading, BTW!

warmly,
earthmama

Tammie said...

earthmama: thank you so much for stopping by and for all the wonderful compliments! You are right: the hfcs adds do have a deceptive tone to them that seems oddly familiar. hmmm.

also, im glad you weren't bored by my butterfly tale---i was worried folks would be.

:)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the butterfly pics! Beautiful.
Those commercials are totally creepy.

jessieearthmomma said...

I'm sure we Mommas can cop to eating random candies from obscure places!

Shalet said...

My twelve-year-old doesn't have a cell phone. He wants one to call me - from up the street. I say walk down the street to talk to me. Or, if that is too far, walk into your friend's house and call me. Or if that is too difficult call me on your friends cell phone. You don't need a cell phone! Gaahhh - kids.

Tammie said...

jessieearthmomma: thanks for the backup support. i sort of view candy found in obscure places as my reward for cleaning obscure places.

shalet: ha ha..yeah that's similar to my son's reasoning as well. he wants to call me from school to tell me hes on his way home. school is five minutes from home. a call is completely unnecessary.

thanks you both for stopping by my little spot.